Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anaglyphic 3D with Lasers

Default Anaglyphic 3D with Lasers

Hi all.
    I just joined, glad to be here!

For a while, I've been doing graphical things using Native Instruments' Reaktor program, and recently someone suggested I should try to use it to control lasers! So I have ordered a Laserworld CS-500RGB KeyTEX to experiment with. I've created some ensembles with Reaktor that draw wireframe diagrams using Reaktor's "XY" module when it's set to act like an oscilloscope:

https://www.native-instruments.com/e...try/show/6857/

These output audio that is actually the X and Y coordinates of the dot as it scans across the screen. After doing some research, I discovered that the ILDA connector is just analog inputs. So I think I can just take the signals and run them through some amplification circuitry to make them +/- 5V in amplitude, then run those into the X and Y lines on the ILDA connector and it will draw the picture!

Since I built that Reaktor ensemble I've started working on outputting separate values for the left and right eye to do 3D. I have a new one that sends out a 3rd signal that is high or low depending on whether the left or right eye is being drawn. I'm hoping I can build some circuits to make the R, G, and B voltages change so that the beam will be red while drawing the image for the left eye and then turn blue while drawing the image for the right eye. If that doesn't work, I might have to get a separate laser projector and draw the red and blue images at the same time.

A few weeks ago I did a show with an improvisational group where I controlled some Reaktor 3D stuff using a normal projector, not lasers. We gave out 3D glasses to people and they liked it. That looked similar to this:

http://www.marksmart.net/ReaktorAnaglyph03.mkv

But I think I can do WAY better with lasers.

In searching around the web, I haven't seen much info about doing anaglyphic 3D like this with lasers. It seems like the perfect way to do it, since lasers are so exact in color. Has anyone on here tried anything like this?

Mark Smart
    Laser Newbie

Hi Mark,

I think, this would be much too slow changing R/L with one projector - better from start with two or the flickering would be awfull.

Viktor
    Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?426
    Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425

You might also try horizontal and vertical polarized glasses. Solid state laser are typically polarized. If that works, you could have rgb for both eyes.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

I can make the Reaktor thing scan through both eyes pretty quickly, so I'm hoping I can get away with doing them sequentially. I don't want to mess with polarization. If you use linear polarization, then it only works with a screen that is silver and not white. Modern movies use circular polarization, which requires a special projector. If lasers are polarized, I assume it's linear and not circular, but I could be wrong.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    You might also try horizontal and vertical polarized glasses. Solid state laser are typically polarized. If that works, you could have rgb for both eyes.
    assuming all the diodes are in the same orientation and they're not combined with a pbs cube and you're using a polarization maintaining silver screen.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

I've been playing around with filtering the signals and getting some wild results. I hope I can make the lasers do this.

http://www.marksmart.net/Swirling01.mp4

This is a stereo pair, so if you cross your eyes the right way, you can see it in 3D. LOL. Unfortunately I can't make this one appear in Reaktor as 2 colors.

Mark

LaserBoy makes it pretty simple to convert x y audio data to ilda frames. It's also easy to recolor the frames. It also supports full 3D animation and can import and export x y z, r g b wave data.

Last edited by james; 12-30-2022 at 19:28.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by marksmartus View Post
    I've been playing around with filtering the signals and getting some wild results. I hope I can make the lasers do this.

http://www.marksmart.net/Swirling01.mp4

This is a stereo pair, so if you cross your eyes the right way, you can see it in 3D. LOL. Unfortunately I can't make this one appear in Reaktor as 2 colors.

Mark
    not with a shape complex, but you can do something suggestive of it:

suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

[QUOTE=swamidog;361694]not with a shape complex, but you can do something suggestive of it:

Very cool! How was that done?

Mark Smart

this was done with a radiator laser synthesizer.

[QUOTE=marksmartus;361697]
    Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    not with a shape complex, but you can do something suggestive of it:

Very cool! How was that done?

Mark Smart