Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FB3 Power / Software Installation

Default FB3 Power / Software Installation

Just a quickie,

1. Possible to power it from USB so an external power source isn’t required?

2. The software itself, can it be installed on multiple PCs?

IE I want to mess about with it at home on my desktop but would also want to use it on the road with my laptop.

3. USB cable length max?
    Trying to decide wither to put it IN the projector and just have a USB lead to the projector or have it separately and take an ILDA cable to the projector. (USB to projector would be easier as the ILDA ones are quite heavy / bulky if you have a longish one.)

Thanks,
    Regards,

Aidan

1." Possible to power it from USB so an external power source isn’t required? ".... as i undestand it no , it needs an extra peice of circuitry on th board i think to power itself from USB.

2 . Yip you can install software on multiple PCS , as long as you copy licence into each .... however the softwares wont work without the DAC physically attached and reporting its serial number back to softare ....(with the exception i think of LIVEQ , which doesnt seem to need the DAC attached to start up)

3. "they say" typically 5 metres max before signal degradation for USB although I have never experimented . I have been thru the exact same thoughts as you as regards USB/ILDA and even cat 5 .
    I lumped with ILDA to save any longer term hassles with multiple projectors and it also depends wht your going to do with your projector , ILDA cable is sheilded to protect the kit from stray signals from other equpment , so if its being used in any kind of public enviroment you gotta go ILDA cable but for yourself and your mates maybe USB and keeping it in the laser housing is just so much more less hassle!
    Last edited by Lasermad; 08-31-2007 at 03:37. Reason: edit for spelling
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Ace, thanks for that.

Other than UKLEM I think I’ll just be messing about at home.

I’m also thinking it may be a bit of a pain in the arse having to have the projector sat with you when ever you want to mess on the software, so I like your idea with the CAT5.

So I think I’ll have the FB3 in its own box so I can play around without having the projector connected.

I don’t want to have to strap like 4 lengths of CAT5 to get 25pins, So how many pins will I need? (Assuming you have scanners + RBG blanking on there)

Thanks,
    Regards,

Aidan

2 pairs for scanners
    3 pairs for rgb
    1 pair for shutter and ground

So 1+1/2 network cables
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan View Post
    3. USB cable length max?
    Trying to decide wither to put it IN the projector and just have a USB lead to the projector or have it separately and take an ILDA cable to the projector. (USB to projector would be easier as the ILDA ones are quite heavy / bulky if you have a longish one.)

Thanks,
    I have my board in the projector, so I connect it directly by USB. Max length I tested was 7 meters and was successful.
    If I need more length, I use my "USB extender", which convert the signal into a CAT5 ethernet cable and re-convert to USB at the other end, up to 45 meters. That works great, easier to install and much cheaper than 25pins cable

You can find an usb extender on eBay for cheap. They are auto-powered and need no software installation...

Dave : Thanks

SBK : I didn’t know about these, VERY interesting / useful to know. Thanks.

Although i would still have the problem of having to have the projector with me all the time when i want to use the software, so going to stick with the FB3 external + CAT5 link to the projector (25pin connectors).

Thanks,
    Regards,

Aidan

Aidan -

I've got my FB3 with me with nothing more than a laptop at my disposal
    (I'm deployed overseas). I had it sent to me specifically so I could work with the software, as you want to do!

You can actually power it from your computer, using a second USB connection to supply the 5VDC power to the board - I've seen several small external USB hard drive enclosures that use that method. So far, works like a charm for me!

The LiveQ software (replaces Samba) that comes with the FB3 will work in "demo mode" without the FB3 attached. It allows you to preview and import graphics files, but not much else.

All the other applications - LAStudio suite, LivePro USB, and TraceIT - all require the FB3 to be attached in order to function (they won't even launch if the FB3 isn't detected).

I'm also planning on enclosing my FB3 in a separate enclosure, for similar reasons. Also, I plan on using the FB3 enclosure as the input for DMX, and adding a safety switch for the beam shutter. All the connections will then feed through a single DB-25 connector and cable to the projector, which will also maintain the capability of attaching other ILDA-compliant controllers down the road.

Randy
    Last edited by Stuka; 08-31-2007 at 22:22.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Hi all,

It actually IS possible to power the FB3 from the USB port, if you install a special jumper. But generally we don't recommend it because:
    a) If you don't connect the FB3 to your computer (i.e. if you run it "stand alone") it obviously won't work...
    b) If you have power from your computer AND from an external power supply simultaneously, there is likely to be a conflict at some point in time...

But if neither A nor B apply to you, then let me know and I will tell you the trick for running the FB3 in what we call a "Bus Powered" manor.

Best regards,

William Benner

Thanks Bill,

I think it’s something I would want to do, just one less thing to plug in!

Is it possible to reverse the "mod", for ease of use USB powered would be ace at the moment but is it easy to go back and use external power if later on I would like to start using it in "stand alone"?

If it’s a pretty simple process I think it’s something I’ll go for!

Thanks,
    Regards,

Aidan

I'm also interested in the USB-power option!

Just for your information (and with "your" I mean every reade r); The FB3 is not delivered with LivePro for free anymore (that only occured with one batch of the kit, and was a mistake).

I'm ordering a license for LivePro (USB) now, 'cause I really like that piece of software!