Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Easy way to change music file length...

I've got Cool Edit Pro as well, and I love it! But I still think that the easy fix is to use Showtime to make the scene fit the audio. (You may not have room on the timeline in the scene view, but if you switch to the next one up - module, I think it's called - you can drag that one around to get more time; it will move the entire show as a whole.)
    Adam, to make a fix like this, you wouldn't want to use the scene since, as you know, you would have to move all of the individual events on the time line over as well. But you also wouldn't want (and probably can't) move the items over in the module view either. If you look at how alot of shows are made in showtime, they basically tie an entire song to one segment under the show view. Then under module, that entire song is broken up into modules. So you can go to a particular module and see all the events on the timeline by selecting the module and opening the scene view. Take the freebie show Money&Us for example. Since it is two songs, you will notice that there are two shows listed on the timeline when you open the show file. You can highlight either show and select module, you can see that the first "show" is broken up into 7 modules, you can then select any module and then select scene to see whats happening on the timeline. So, back to the start of this conversation, lets say that the beat of the music is behind whats being displayed by the projector. What would need to happen is a delay would need to be added in showtime, obviously, moving anything on the scene timeline would require moving everything individually to match up which would take hours. You can narrow it down by moving just the individual modules on the timeline, but then again, you have 7 modules for the first song and 11 modules for the second, so each one of those would need to be moved to the right on the timeline. Or you can just go to the "show" and move the 2 show segments to the right until it matches up properly.

Next issue, what to do when the beat of the music is ahead of laser projector, since most shows on the timeline start at zero, you can't move them anymore to the left on the timeline. So the easiest fix is to just use a program to add a delay (1 or 2 seconds), the idea is to overshoot it a little bit, then you can use the show selection and fine tune it by moving the show to the right a little bit. Does any of this make since or am I just going crazy, been a long day! Its so much easier to show it than to type about it!

Cool

David;

No, you're not crazy! We're on the same page... I couldn't remember what the three timeline "levels" were called. You're right though - if you move the top one you move the whole show. (Though so far all the shows I've looked at are a single module beneath a single show. I haven't come across a multi-module show yet, but I have only scratched the surface of the shows that come with Pangolin...)

Can you slide the soundtrack to the right in Showtime? I haven't played around with the soundtrack timeline in LD-2000 much. (Remember that in the earlier QM-32 version of Showtime, the audio track wasn't visible.) I assumed that in the LD-2000 version you could slide the audio track just like you could with the show timeline... No?

Adam

[quote]I don't think so. If you could you would want to resave the audio file so that it will always be in the correct spot the next time you load a show. I'll have to check, but I don't think you can move the audio file on the timeline. Also, not sure if you knew, but only .wav files will display a wav form on the timeline. .mp3's will not. But if you have the plugin for Cool Edit, its easy to convert mp3's over to .wav.

I didn't know that mp3's wouldn't show up on the timeline. Good tip! But yeah, Cool Edit will do the conversion to .wav for you. (I've got a couple other programs that will do it too, including Itunes and MP3toWav.)

Adam

Cool Edit will do the conversion to .wav for you. (I've got a couple other programs that will do it too, including Itunes and MP3toWav.)
    I figured there were newer programs out there that would do this. I've had this version of Cool Edit for a while, in fact its version 1.2 and I had to install a patch to get it to work with .mp3's. But its always done a great job so I've always used it.

Cool Edit is good software... I had a buddy that digitized a couple thousand vinyl albums, and he used Cool Edit to clean up the tracks before he burned them to CD. Talk about a mountain of work! But the results were amazing...

Adam

I remember using Cool Edit at least 10 yrs ago and it was great. I can't imagine how far it has come now. Is it still shareware? I guess after 10 years of work it will probably polish my car now.

One nice thing about Cool Edit is handling multichannel WAV files directly. Useful if you're experimenting with laser control signals in wave formats. Sound Forge can't, and I think Vegas has to have separate mono (or stereo) WAV's as far as I know. If anyone knows different, please say so, I'm hoping Vegas can do multichannel WAV's. Although I'd probably choose to use Sonar anyway even if it can't, I like it that much, and it adds MIDI...

Buffo, I think you'll like MP3DirectCut. It's a weird example of less being more, kind of extreme take on the idea too.
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 09-01-2007 at 23:44.

Cool

I'm running Cool Edit Pro V: 2.0, and it certainly has come a long way since the early shareware days. I understand that Adobe purchased the rights to it from Syntrillium and are planning to release it under a new name... Adobe Audition or something... (Reminds me of Audition IV on the Amiga, if anyone here is old enough to remember those days!) But good old Cool Edit 1.2 is still some pretty awesome software.

Cool Edit Pro 2 does support multiple tracks - up to 128 separate tracks, if you have enough ram! The most I've worked with is 4, and that was enough. I honestly prefer the older interface of the original Cool Edit, but this newer version does so much more, so I use it instead...

Edit: Just installed MP3 Direct Cut (V:2.06) and tried it out. I see what you mean, Doc! Less is more. Nice clean utility. I like it...

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 09-02-2007 at 07:51.

I never used Cool Edit enough to really learn to like it (went with Sound Forge for years) but I do like how it does a lot, and is stable, and has a clean GUI. I'd not go to the Adobe Audition (don't like Adobe stuff at all much), but I think CE v2 is a kind of definitive stopping point for a lot of people, same as Sound Forge v4.5h is for me and maybe others. Another really useful tool especially for messing with wave files for non-audio tasks, is GoldWave. It's fast, stable, and seems to do several things nothing else does.