Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ordered the FB3 LA Freak Package!!!!

LA Freak is the working name for the software.
    Oh ok, I kinda figured that, but wasn't completely sure. I'm still pretty darn impressed with all the stuff thats there. The stuff available to us hobbiest has certainly changed since the days I started out with Laser Illusions PCLite!

Got it! What's the deal with analogue? I have the 405nm maXYZ module that is analogue. It works without any voltage on the Analogue wire. Is that correct?
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Ben View Post
    Got it! What's the deal with analogue? I have the 405nm maXYZ module that is analogue. It works without any voltage on the Analogue wire. Is that correct?
    If you don't have it attached to anything, it could be that its floating. Touch the input and ground wire together, or to be safe, throw a 1K resistor between them and the output should go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Ben View Post
    I can't wait till I get it.
    Me too ! I ordered the $595 FB3 evaluation kit instead though just like Stuka did. Bill even going to tune my scanner free of charge as well to top it off. Such a great service and product from such a great guy . I would be out of my mind if I bought something else! Even for considering it ! I'm going to be one happy camper soon enough (hopefully ).

I just milled out a plate to mount the Galvos and the mxXYZ module and hold them in perfect alignment. Does anyone know what thread the LP30 Galvo mounting blocks use? It is not a standard ANSI inch or metric. All I need is the FB3 now!!
    CLICKY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    You're correct, you don't need it.

DMX is a signaling protocol that is widely used in theater lighting. It can also be used to control various effects in a projector. For example, if you have a GM-20 actuator that will send the beam off to a lumina wheel, or a diffraction grating, or something like that. But if you're building a standard projector with just a set of galvos, then you don't need DMX.

Stuka was thinking about building a hybrid projector that could do scanned graphics and also have some diffraction grating effects built-in, so he thought he might want the DMX ability. While that would be very cool, I've only ever seen one other projector that had both features like that in a single case. Cool, but also complex...

Adam
    Dmx can also be used to select the beam effects stored in the flash memory and create a show mixing conventional stage scanners and lasers projectors altogether, using a generic light mixer. Those mixers can also run their own sequences and are equipped with built in mic, so dance club effects can be controlled even by an unexperienced operator.

Luciano

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Pitopito View Post
    Dmx can also be used to select the beam effects stored in the flash memory and create a show mixing conventional stage scanners and lasers projectors altogether, using a generic light mixer.
    Hi PitoPito;

You have a point, but the key to this (which you mentioned in your post) is that you need a DMX-capable lighting control panel in order to control the FB3 via DMX. Since LaserBen didn't even know what DMX was for, it's a safe bet that he didn't have such a control panel. Thus, there's no need for him to spend the extra money for the DMX daugherboard.

However, if he decides to get into stage lighting at a later time and ends up buying a DMX controller, then he can always buy the DMX daughterboard for his FB3 from Pangolin then. Or, if he wants to add some diffraction grating effects to his projector and use the DMX output from the FB3 to select them, then that would also be a good excuse to upgrade.

OOPS! I forgot that the DMX port on the FB3 is for input only. My bad!

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 02-01-2008 at 09:09. Reason: correction on DMX ability of FB3

WOW! I just set up the entire system together minus the FB3 I used 3 of my signal generators set n 3V t make as many different waveforms as I could on he laser, X galvo, and Y galvo. These things are amazing!!! I really hope the FB3 comes with some displays already built in!!! I can't wait!!!
    CLICKY!!!

It does... It also comes with a whole shitload of software that will allow you to make more patterns! You're going to be very busy playing with it once it arrives, I can tell already!

How about some pics?

Adam

Sure! I actually just took it apart because I needed the breadboard for something else. I'll try to put up some pictures soon!
    CLICKY!!!