Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ordered the FB3 LA Freak Package!!!!

Talking Ordered the FB3 LA Freak Package!!!!

I ordered it this morning! I can't wait till I get it. Hopefully sometime next week. I read that the software is downloaded and not sent of a CD. If so, where do I download it?
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Congradulations on your purchase! I've been playing around with the LA Freak/Studio software a bit and was surprised (and upset) to find that it has alot of features that are not even available in the intro version of the QM2000! There is definately a lot of cool stuff there to learn! I'm not sure, but I think this is where you can download it? http://www.pangolin.com/LA_Studio/Showrider.htm

Maybe its two different programs, I just realized that one is called LA Freak and the other is LA Studio. Anyone know if these are the same?

I'd be surprised though if it didn't come with a cd!

Cool

LA Freak is the working name for the software. Eventually, once Bill and his team have streamlined the interface, it will be sold as "LA Freak."

However, right now the version that you can download from Pangolin's website is still called "LA Studio". This is the same software that they've been offering for free to registered QM-2000 owners for the past few years. They added support for the Flashback 3 controller when it came out, but otherwise they haven't changed very much else in the software.

If you get the LA Studio software now, you can upgrade to the LA Freak version for free when it is released. But in the mean time you can be up and running with the LA Studio software today. This is why Bill agreed to start selling the LA Freak package to hobbyists back in May. He recognized that there was demand for the package, so even though he wasn't finished with the changes to the software, he agreed to let it out early so folks like us could start playing!

Adam

Thumbs up

I'm not sure if they're the same package or not, but I ordered the "Flashback 3 Evaluation package" as listed on the Pangolin website - this FB3 comes equipped with the USB and DMX daughterboards already attached, and all required connection cables for the board.

The software CD that came with the package included drivers, LiveQ (replaces "Samba"), the LAStudio applications ShowRider, Draw3D, and Abstraction, and last, but certainly not least, LivePro USB! AND, they'll send you a free copy of TraceIT just by requesting it through the Pangolin contact page on the web site!

All that for less than $600!

Best deal I've found anywhere!!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Wow - they've sweetened the deal then!

The package you bought used to cost $695. The LA Freak package is only $500, but it doesn't come with the DMX daughterboard and doesn't include a memory card. (Though the card reader slot is included.) Also, it wasn't going to come with Live Pro.

Evidently Bill has changed the pricing on the FB3. That, or he just decided to hook you up. Either way, it sounds like you got the best of both worlds! You got *everything* for just $600... Cool!

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Ben View Post
    I ordered it this morning! I can't wait till I get it.
    .....So do I, right now....

Wow!? That much? Mine only cost $500 with shipping included.
    CLICKY!!!

Ben, you ordered the LA Freak package. That doesn't come with the DMX daughterboard.

Stuka ordered the FB3 evaluation kit, which *does* come with the DMX daugherboard. (Though it looks like he got a deal too, since that kit used to sell for $695. Maybe Bill or Hayden decided to issue Stuka a military discount!)

Adam

I sent a email to William Brenner, he told me to order the FB3 Eval kit and then specify LAFreak in the special options box. I don't exactly understand what the DMX does, but from what I understand, you don't need it.
    CLICKY!!!

Cool

You're correct, you don't need it.

DMX is a signaling protocol that is widely used in theater lighting. It can also be used to control various effects in a projector. For example, if you have a GM-20 actuator that will send the beam off to a lumina wheel, or a diffraction grating, or something like that. But if you're building a standard projector with just a set of galvos, then you don't need DMX.

Stuka was thinking about building a hybrid projector that could do scanned graphics and also have some diffraction grating effects built-in, so he thought he might want the DMX ability. While that would be very cool, I've only ever seen one other projector that had both features like that in a single case. Cool, but also complex...

Adam