Thread: DFB vs DBR (or vs VCSEL vs other semiconductor lasers)

Default DFB vs DBR (or vs VCSEL vs other semiconductor lasers)

Hi everyone!

I’ve been reading into semiconductor lasers and came across DFB and DBR lasers and while I understand, superficially, the difference between them, I fail to find an application or necessity that would absolutely need a DBR laser and couldn’t be done with a DFB laser or VCSEL or other type of semiconductor laser.

Anyone have some knowledge they’d like to share on this?

Thank you!

The primary advantage of a DBR laser over a DFB or VCSEL is its inherent wavelength tunability. DBR lasers designed for optical fiber communications can tune across the entire C-band, making them them attractive as source laser for wavelength-division-multiplexed transmission. WDM systems can transmit upwards of a hundred or more channels of information simultaneously over a single fiber, and a multi-section DBR laser can tune to any of those channel's wavelengths by appropriately adjusting reflector tuning currents and phase section current. In contrast, a DFB or VCSEL typically has just a single current to control optical power, and limited tuning through temperature around a nominal wavelength fixed by the grating or epilayer design.