Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New home for Zoof's Software?

Default New home for Zoof's Software?

Hi all,

it has been a while since I've been active on this forum and in the laserist hobby. This weekend I took my projector out of storage and gave it a run. Both HW and my own SW needed some tinkering to get running again, but hey it worked (except for a broken red channel)!
    Had some fun again with Laser-Tennis (pong), Laseroids, ZoofScope, OLA (converting my company logo from SVG to ILDA), etc.
    Have a look on https://www.youtube.com/user/ZoofTv for some old vids.

I doubt I'll have time to do fun stuff with it and would like to make it available for the community as open-source.
    Would anyone be interested in it?

Can't promise anything about the quality of the code, except that it does some interesting things :-)
    Its all C++ code developed under MSVC and now works in MS Visual Studio Express 2015.
    It uses the DACLibrary programmed by Dr.Lava here on PL.

However, I have no experience with making project opensource. What would be a good platform to put the code on and what license to apply?

And, would anyone be willing to adopt the project and finish "Moonbugs"? Its half way there but the progression through levels still needs to be implemented.

Cheers,
    Matthijs AKA Zoof

ps. Moonbugs was a 1983 arcade game on the PC :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails moonbugs.jpg  

934736072-00.jpg  

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

hey zoof! good to see you.

posting your code on github might be a great approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoof View Post
    Hi all,

it has been a while since I've been active on this forum and in the laserist hobby. This weekend I took my projector out of storage and gave it a run. Both HW and my own SW needed some tinkering to get running again, but hey it worked (except for a broken red channel)!
    Had some fun again with Laser-Tennis (pong), Laseroids, ZoofScope, OLA (converting my company logo from SVG to ILDA), etc.
    Have a look on https://www.youtube.com/user/ZoofTv for some old vids.

I doubt I'll have time to do fun stuff with it and would like to make it available for the community as open-source.
    Would anyone be interested in it?

Can't promise anything about the quality of the code, except that it does some interesting things :-)
    Its all C++ code developed under MSVC and now works in MS Visual Studio Express 2015.
    It uses the DACLibrary programmed by Dr.Lava here on PL.

However, I have no experience with making project opensource. What would be a good platform to put the code on and what license to apply?

And, would anyone be willing to adopt the project and finish "Moonbugs"? Its half way there but the progression through levels still needs to be implemented.

Cheers,
    Matthijs AKA Zoof

ps. Moonbugs was a 1983 arcade game on the PC :-)
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

A copyright is a nice idea.

It's only worth whatever you are willing to do to enforce it.

Don't be surprised to find your code being sold by someone else.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

I would be interested in obtaining and using some or all of this within Spaghetti as a side bundle. I have been thinking of making part of Spaghetti free and this could be included in the free portion. Spaghetti is written in MSVC so I imagine it would integrate easily. Zoof, let me know what you think. Otherwise, I think placing it within Github is a good idea.
    Last edited by JohnYayas; 03-30-2023 at 13:57.

I still occasionally use OLA for svg to ild !

I suggest going with a MIT license or Create Commons Attribution license. Those will allow a lot of freedom for use while retaining the copyright. I would put the license at the top of each source file. Some people like to just include license.txt file with the code. Putting it in the source code I think is best.

GITHub for hosting. It allows people to browse the code and a lot projects are hosted there. You could always go with a zip file and maybe attach it here (or ask someone with a website like 757.org or laserboy.org or fab-favreau.com to host it and link it) in a thread if this place allows storing stuff like that. If you need some help with GIT let us know.

I am looking forward to getting a peek at the code.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes on the completing moon bugs.

Smile

Thanks for the pointers.
    My decision process might seem slow ;-) but I decided to go with Github.
    Managed to create an account and repository but still figuring out how to put the code there. Any help will be appreciated.

I've just put my lasercode in a github repository: https://github.com/ZoofPL/laserCode

Hope it's done right.

It's not public (yet) so anyone who wants to have a peek and/or work on it can request access by shooting me a PM.

I think it might need some work to get everything configured and building again but I'm hoping to get some help in that department.

cheers and enjoy!

Great balls of fire! That's super great. GPL V3... it's OK however would you consider the LGPL to allow dynamic linking?

Quote Originally Posted by cfavreau View Post
    Great balls of fire! That's super great. GPL V3... it's OK however would you consider the LGPL to allow dynamic linking?
    sure I will consider it. I just need to read up on what it means exactly. I need to get better at understanding all that licensing stuff :-)

At this time, anyone who want to look at the code needs a github account. Just so you know.