Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2023 Sign Up Thread (SELEM 16!)

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Anyone have an idea for this year's logo?

Adam
    I really thought the Lissajous pattern was really cool / clever etc. and that we should vamp on that. Out of all the logos I have seen that one is my favorite. I would not mind a simple change of ratio or maybe go to another equation. It cannot be too complex or it will just be a jumble of thread. Part of the Lissajous pattern's appeal is the simple look. I could see us getting some use out of the basic idea. Maybe James could generate something with LaserBoy?

I'll tell you what I'd really like. That is if you and anyone else would allow me to show you how to make parametric line images using Liquid Math script. It's a great way to learn and understand the math behind making abstract figures (including animation). Once you see how it works, you'll realize that you are only limited by your own imagination. You do need to be able to imagine multidimensional space as in x y z r g b, frame index and multiple frame_sets all coexisting. But it shows you all of that once you create an example. You can then make that more complex by building it in steps. If you look at my tutorial videos, the ones that have LLM in the title are about using Liquid Math.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    I'll tell you what I'd really like. That is if you and anyone else would allow me to show you how to make parametric line images using Liquid Math script. It's a great way to learn and understand the math behind making abstract figures (including animation). Once you see how it works, you'll realize that you are only limited by your own imagination. You do need to be able to imagine multidimensional space as in x y z r g b, frame index and multiple frame_sets all coexisting. But it shows you all of that once you create an example. You can then make that more complex by building it in steps. If you look at my tutorial videos, the ones that have LLM in the title are about using Liquid Math.
    Isn't Chris already doing math derived abstracts in LSX? Also how to manipulate in real-time with a DMX or Midi controller? Can you embed variable expressions mapped to a controller with LB? So far, I think only LSX and a limited few others will allow this. Not poking, just saying that live control of abstracts would be awesome.

Man, I wish I lived closer. I would love to attend a SELEM but to cart all my equipment from California would kill me!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

all abstracts are math derived. including LSX and radiator

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    Isn't Chris already doing math derived abstracts in LSX? Also how to manipulate in real-time with a DMX or Midi controller? Can you embed variable expressions mapped to a controller with LB? So far, I think only LSX and a limited few others will allow this. Not poking, just saying that live control of abstracts would be awesome.

Man, I wish I lived closer. I would love to attend a SELEM but to cart all my equipment from California would kill me!
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    all abstracts are math derived.
    You know what I mean!!! Jerk!

You know what I mean!!! Jerk!
    heheeheh

it's true.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Probably not the thread for this but, how do you get your stuff to SELEM, Chris? Do you do a panel truck or do you pack light and fly? Just curious if it would even be feasible for me to attend with any of my equipment, namely, my fogscreen.

Probably not the thread for this but, how do you get your stuff to SELEM, Chris? Do you do a panel truck or do you pack light and fly? Just curious if it would even be feasible for me to attend with any of my equipment, namely, my fogscreen.
    i take a laptop and a couple radiators in my carry on and the radiator stand and displays in a suitcase with my clothes.

Making a logo to be embroidered on a shirt has nothing to do with manipulating expressions in real-time.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

how do you get your stuff to SELEM
    Lots of people tow trailers and/or pack their SUV full to the headliner with gear. In the past we've had several people make cross-country, multi-day treks like this. (Looking at you, Rick!)

Shipping is also an option if you have to fly and don't want to check your gear as baggage.

Finally, we usually have extra projectors, controllers, tripods, and other hardware available, so even people who need to travel light can still have fun at the event by borrowing gear from other people.

Just curious if it would even be feasible for me to attend with any of my equipment, namely, my fogscreen.
    The fog screen would be AMAZEBALLS to see in person, but that would either need to be packed in an SUV / minivan, or else shipped road freight (LTL), as I'm sure it exceeds the maximum dimensions for UPS / FEDEX shipments. Although you might want to ask about Delta Air Freight, as I believe they will accept non-standard sized cargo, and someone was saying that their rates were rather favorable, so long as you could accept a couple days flexibility on the delivery. (So you just ship a few days earlier to be safe.)

All that being said, even if you don't bring anything, I'm sure you'll have an awesome time.

Adam