Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lots of laser stuff available

Default Lots of laser stuff available

***Edit, I think much of this is pending at the moment, waiting for a response at the moment.***

Howdy folks! Ok, bit of a long story. A friend of mine was in the planetarium business for decades. He mostly retired around 2005ish. Some folks here may remember meeting him at SELEM a few years ago, Joe Hopkins. Over the past several years his health has deteriorated. The remainder of his planetarium business has been in a storage unit for at least a decade. As a favor to an old friend, I picked up a U-Haul truck in Bradenton, FL and relocated this equipment to Jacksonville, with the intention of selling as much of it as possible to pay the relocation expense and help the Hopkins family. Among the mountain of equipment is a fair amount of laser gear which I would like to post here. I will offer 10% of anything that sells here on PL to be donated to PL.

I will start with this old HeNe, 3 color laser projector (Red, Yellow, Green). It is very old school but in pretty good condition. The amps are LSDC, scanners are G-120's, it's likely good to about 10K scanning. Inputs are RCA. I don't have any documentation on the amps. Also included is a separate piece with several hankscraft motors with effect wheels. I'd like to see $350 for this, for $450 I'll throw in a blackface ADAT and all the original JHE shows in wave format. Pickup is absolutely preferred for this, shipping would likely be very expensive. Here's a video of it running: https://youtu.be/pGOfWgdGn4k

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6750.JPG 
Views:	7 
Size:	465.3 KB 
ID:	60201 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6749.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	441.1 KB 
ID:	60202 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6751.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	512.4 KB 
ID:	60203 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6748.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	438.3 KB 
ID:	60216 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6745.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	380.2 KB 
ID:	60204

Need an ADAT? I have a few. I've tested a couple and most seem to have issues, likely due to sitting around for so long. It would take more time than it's worth to go thru each one of these and repair them. I'm asking $25 each. Come buy them all for $250 and you can take the rack with you! Also have many of the LRC's.

Name:	IMG_6744.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	576.5 KB 
ID:	60205

Single mode RGB head. I built this for Joe many years ago, I guess he never used it. The drivers are the old stanham drivers, no SBS but the response is fantastic. Requires a 9V DC power supply, not included unless I can find one. Asking $100 plus shipping.

Name:	IMG_6736.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	469.3 KB 
ID:	60206 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6737.JPG 
Size:	434.9 KB 
ID:	60207 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6738.JPG 
Size:	415.9 KB 
ID:	60208

Single mode RGB bench with Compact506 scanners. Joe won these scanners as a door prize at SELEM, they are paired with the X-Laser 12V amp. Pretty nice little setup. The drivers are the stanham drivers, no SBS but fantastic modulation response. Asking $400 plus shipping, pickup preferred!

Name:	IMG_6739.JPG 
Size:	452.2 KB 
ID:	60209 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6740.JPG 
Size:	459.4 KB 
ID:	60210 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6741.JPG 
Size:	478.0 KB 
ID:	60211

QM16! Removed from an Amiga 3000. I do not know if it works, it is completely untested. No clue what it might be worth, asking $100 but certainly accepting offers on any and all this stuff. No software included at this time. The LD400 software disk was found but being 30ish years old, I've sent it along with several other floppy disks to another PL member much more experienced than me to attempt to capture the data.

Name:	IMG_6747.JPG 
Size:	578.4 KB 
ID:	60212 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6746.JPG 
Size:	460.2 KB 
ID:	60213

Single mode RGB module with drlava drivers. Ok, so this wasn't Joe's, it was part of Ed Keefe's estate. I still have a few other items left from that estate that I need to get posted but wanted to add this item since it's similar to some of the other items above. Very well-made unit, the Thor Labs mirror mounts are nice. The final bounce mirror has fallen off of the flex mount, aside from that it works fine. Needs a power supply. Asking $300 plus shipping.

Name:	IMG_6742.JPG 
Size:	476.6 KB 
ID:	60214 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6743.JPG 
Size:	443.6 KB 
ID:	60215

There is some more laser stuff that I will get to eventually. I know I saw "AppleDACS" in the pile in the garage. It's a mountain of stuff folks and this has occupied much of my time as of late. If you see something you're interested in, please let me know. I will do my best to answer question in a timely manner. Thank you.
    Last edited by DZ; 04-28-2023 at 10:26.

Hey DZ!

I remeber Joe well. We spoke several times at SELEMs in Newton. Always enjoyed talking with him. I bought a few hankscraft motors, diffraction wheels and HeNe's from him.

I'm interested in a few things you have posted.

PM SENT.

Eric
    Eric in New Orleans

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Is Sabre Dance in the shows, or is it still in the Amiga?, or was it destroyed in the fire at the Bishop Museum ???? A personal favorite, from the second time I ever saw a laser show. Should have Ninjas in the content.

I'm making a slight assumption that Joe did the Bishop Hardware, living in B Town.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

@djeric68, PM replied!

@mixedgas, if I'm not mistaken, SabreDance is an LFI show? Joe did have stuff in that planetarium but I think they may have used LFI or someone else for lasers. The HeNe rigs that Joe built were pretty neat but likely lacked the power for a dome the size of the Bishop. There were quite a few diskettes for the Amiga, I'm hoping that whatever's there can be saved, but they are 30 years old now. Fingers crossed!

Name:	IMG_6650.JPG 
Size:	402.4 KB 
ID:	60222 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6651.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	334.5 KB 
ID:	60223

I have an Amiga floppy drive in a desk drawer if you need it. But no Amiga. I have LSD, RtV and Kickstarter disks I'd love to have recovered.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    I have an Amiga floppy drive in a desk drawer if you need it. But no Amiga. I have LSD, RtV and Kickstarter disks I'd love to have recovered.

Steve

Hey Steve, you know anything about Apple? I found some floppies and I'm wondering if any of it is worth trying to salvage? It's older than the Amiga diskettes that I've found. Last I heard, salvaging data from the Amiga diskettes is looking pretty good, fingers crossed!

Name:	IMG_6892.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	492.1 KB 
ID:	60224

I also found the Apple Dac box. I'm not at all familiar with old Apple computers but eventually would like to offer the Apple Dacs with a working Apple, if I can figure that out. I have plenty of them and parts to get one working, I think...

Name:	IMG_6893.JPG 
Size:	421.3 KB 
ID:	60225 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6894.JPG 
Size:	373.1 KB 
ID:	60226

I use Quadstar Consulting in Berea Ohio for Apple Disk recovery. A hour from. here. Even the Mac store recommends them on behalf of Apple, Inc. I just used them to recover a 20 year old Mac SSD forr a friend. Inexpensive, too.

They have early Apple and Mac setting in their front window that probably should be in tge Smithsonian.

Appledacs is expansion port driven. I used to drool over that box in the LSD Co. Catalog. Sounds like a job for Ash.

I'm out of spending money for the foreseeable future. or We'd be talking. I'm sure something in the collection will come up. I'll tell Karl about the QM16. He has a reason to want it.

He also needs an Aquila or a TC2000 if one is there, badly.
    I know, he has my Aquila right now for a big gig.

Yes, I know a little Apple.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 04-28-2023 at 11:56.

We need to reach out to Neil (Icecruncher). He was good friends with someone who has done a lot of work to resurrect the Apple IIe and IIGS laser show hardware and software. I can't remember the guys name, but I know Neil will know immediately...

Adam

Default Apple II

re: Apple II Laser Projector Soft Tware

I know of only 2 competing systems from back in the day. The first was from Alden Gaw which used a proprietary card and internal DAC. He is still working on this system and has a couple of prototypes, which I have one. He is only doing this for fun and is retired. He is both the hardware engineer and software designer along with Laser Show Programmer, he is a very smart guy.

The second system was owned by Ash McFarland. He is still running laser shows on newer systems now. He had hired a programmer for the software and hardware along with the designs. What I think you have is a version of his system, but Ash doesn't remember much about the way they are put together.

I converted all Ashs' old images to a modern format and Alden made them compatible with ILDA files recently.

Both systems require an Apple II+ or Apple IIe or Apple IIGS and the system must have 64K RAM min.

Custom build - 1 watt rgb laser projector - saturn scanners, 6 single-mode diodes
    Kvant - Clubmax 1800
    Pangolin Beyond, LSX, Maxwell, Laserdock, Etherdream, Prototype Apple II Laser DAC
    Various Pointers and Lab lasers along w/Diodes, Arrays, OPSL, DPSS, HeNe and Argons.
    Lasos Air Cooled Argon w/plexiglass covered glass bell
    SP-127

Bingo! Alden Gaw is the guy I was thinking of. Thanks Neil!

Steve:

Regarding the Sabre Dance laser show, if you're talking about the graphics show where the frog and the duck are chasing each other through the swamp, that show is one of the stock shows that was included with the Pangolin LD2000 package. I'm not sure who the original artist was, but someone at Pangolin probably knows...

Adam