Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ILDA LSO Class at SELEM 2023 - Reply if interested

Lightbulb ILDA LSO Class at SELEM 2023 - Reply if interested

As posted in the SELEM sign-up thread, Patrick Murphy (the executive director of ILDA, aka "ILDADirect" here on PL) will be attending SELEM this year. Patrick emailed me this week to say that he is willing to teach the ILDA Laser Safety Officer course while he is in town for SELEM, assuming we have people who are interested in taking the class.

EDIT: We have people who want to take the LSO class, so Patrick has set up a registration link on the ILDA website. Go to https://www.ildamember.com/events and scroll down to the entry for SELEM - August 8th, and then click the "Register" button to sign up and pay for the class.

So, if you are interested in taking the ILDA LSO course, please reply to this thread. Assuming we have some interest in the class, we will do our best to pick a time for the class that will fit everyone's schedule while minimizing any time spent away from SELEM. (We fully recognize that no one wants to miss out on all the SELEM fun!) Patrick said that the classroom portion normally takes about 6 hours - sometimes more - and then on top of that you need to add the time to complete the final exam.

If you've never taken the ILDA LSO course, I highly recommend it. We've been able to host this course 4 separate times at previous SELEMs, and the feedback from those who have taken the course has been overwhelmingly positive. If you'd like more information about the course, you can read about it on the ILDA website here: https://www.ilda.com/LSOcourse.htm

The usual cost to take the course is $649 if you are not an ILDA member, and $525 if you are already an ILDA member. Upon successful completion of the course, ILDA will issue you a certificate and add your name to the published list of people who have completed the course.

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 07-13-2023 at 10:27. Reason: Added registration link for LSO course

Is it possible to have a short add-on session for existing LSOs for the new Cat-A standard? I see on the ILDA site it's now included in the LSO course and certificate. I know it's sort-of a subset of the existing training, but if it's possible for Patrick to do an "LSO booster shot", I think many people would do it (or at least I would).
    Last edited by HankLloydRight; 07-03-2023 at 04:31.

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    Is it possible to have a short add-on session for existing LSOs for the new Cat-A standard? I see on the ILDA site it's now included in the LSO course and certificate. I know it's sort-of a subset of the existing training, but if it's possible for Patrick to do an "LSO booster shot", I think many people would do it (or at least I would).

id do that if you can do it remote as webinar.

Thumbs up Cat-A class is a go!

Patrick said the stand-alone Cat-A course takes about 90 minutes. He is willing to add the entire Cat-A course to his presentation, if anyone present wants to stick around for the course. (So he would introduce the concept for the first 15 minutes or so, get people's feedback on the concept, and then proceed into the actual course material for those who are interested in taking the class.)

Patrick is willing to offer this stand-alone Cat-A course for FREE to all SELEM attendees. Furthermore, if you have already completed the ILDA LSO course and passed that exam, then assuming you complete this Cat-A course and pass the final exam for this class, you will be issued a new ILDA LSO certificate that states that you've received the Cat-A training.

We need to pick a date and time that works best for everyone, both for the ILDA LSO class and for Patrick's stand-alone Cat-A course.

For the Cat-A class, I'm thinking either Tuesday or Wednesday, maybe from 1 PM to 3 PM. Sound OK?

For the LSO course, we'll need to hear from the people who want to take the class before we try to set a date and time...

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Patrick is willing to offer this stand-alone Cat-A course for FREE to all SELEM attendees.
    That's awesome! I'm in for the Cat-A class.
    Thanks for arranging this.

I somehow deleted my original post. Ahem... sorry...

I would be interested in the LSO course.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by bradstockdale View Post
    I somehow deleted my original post. Ahem... sorry...

I would be interested in the LSO course.

I'm in for the Cat-A course. If enough interest is there for the LSO course, I can make arrangements with Local 74 to see if we can use a proper classroom in their school next door.
    PM Sent...

Cat-a for me.

Much thanks.

…Mike
    Runs with Lasers

This is a great opportunity. LSO Course please.

I’m in for Cat-A as well. Tuesday or Wednesday will be best.
    Last edited by Displaser; 07-10-2023 at 18:45.
    "Information not shared, is information lost forever"

Join ILDA
    Support Photonlexicon