Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Old fart's comments, experiences and insights

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    No one should be without this old farts favorite training aide:

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...BAgIEA4&adurl=

Steve
    Thanks again, Steve. I've sure enjoyed my copy. It is small, compact and brings the discussion on the major points with efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHermit View Post
    Thank Alden.
    I just mapped what seemed to be logical, without knowing anything about Beyond's mappings.
    As you can see, below, Reaper's DAW has a mixer that pretty much duplicates the APC40's 8 channels, plus more.
    These controls can be manipulated directly from the APC40, mouse, and/or the multi-Touchscreen
    monitor.

You can also see it's matching MIDI tracks in timeline view, with live recorded CC values, in the initial photos.
    I can enter floating point frequencies via the NumKey/Touchpad (G, left handed), followed by pressing any preset button to immediately assign in real time.
    Just added a 2nd PC running LSX for the 2nd projector. But, haven't mapped the APC40 to LSX, yet.
    Works for me!
    😎
    Lookin' good dude! Can't wait to see your results!

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by araugh View Post
    I used to think this was the case but I've seen some tech lately that has blown me away by creating an equal experience to being there for graphics and abstracts. It's all horribly inefficient right now because it's insanely expensive HDR broadcast monitors and a ton of time spent perfecting a grade, but it's possible now and will just get more practical to do in the coming years.
    Is that tech at your neighbor’s house?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    Is that tech at your neighbor’s house?
    It is indeed...

Default Easter egg hunt

No one should be without this old farts favorite training aide:

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=l&ai=...BAgIEA4&adurl=

Steve
    There is an error on page 38 of this book. Can you find it?

My old fart reference has tables of patterns with numeric ratios... As well as the how to build section in your referenced PDF. So you could refer to a 13:9 Innie and see what it looks like, as well as the 5:3 five point star with respect to various phases and amplitudes and see what it looks like and then dial it up....

Just nitpicking a little...

Von Mixedgas....
    Awesomeness, Von Mixedgas. It was a gas to build that Harmonograph and see it "ink" its innies & outties.

Here is a site to plot-play with: https://academo.org/demos/rhodonea-curves/

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I gave my copy to a beginner like all good "Old Farts" are supposed to. No access to page 38, sorry. I like many laserists, am too poor in my old age to buy a new one.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I gave my copy to a beginner like all good "Old Farts" are supposed to. No access to page 38, sorry. I like many laserists, am too poor in my old age to buy a new one.

Steve
    Okay, glad to hear you are a model "Old Fart" inspirer but sorry to hear you are self-disqualifying. One would need access to more than just page 38 to find the error.

Doah! No more hints.

I'm not an old fart; that's ageist.

I prefer to think of myself as methane-enabled.

...Mike
    Runs with Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by TheHermit View Post
    Nostalgia 4 lasermaster1977 & the mixedgas-enabled. 🤯 💨 🔥
    If only Pythagoras could have seen this acoustic Animusic.
    This creator must have read the book.
    The light that creates the music.
    Aah, you da man. Thanks for finding Analogue Solutions and Animusic.

One thing that jumped out at me about Analogue Solutions synth is his diode-pin patch panel. From 1970-1978 I worked as a theater projectionist at many theaters owned by big and little theater owners, everything from carbon-arc lamp projectors to the more modern Xeon lamp houses, in-house and drive-ins. Most required human intervention to "change-over" from one projector to the other. Early projectors ran 2000 foot 35mm reels, about 20 minutes worth, so a change-over from projector #1 to #2 was required about every 20 minutes. In the early '70's, automation was taking hold in an ever growing number of projection booths and 6,000 foot film reels were starting to take hold. Among the first was AMC Theaters out of Kansas City. A young engineer with the company used an DC driven 40 step stepping relay to "step" across the control function rows and time columns of a diode-pin patch panel matrix. The diode-pin was in series with a 12v or 24v DC supply that powered the same voltage DPDT relay switches. When the diode-pin was grounded it closed relay circuits. The relay switch closures started 110vac motors or switched between other devices. Each horizontal column represented one second of time while each vertical column represented left and right projector functions such as "Left Projector Motor Start/Stop", "Left Xeon Lamp On/Off", "Left Zipper Shutter Open/Closed", "Left/Right Projector Audio Channel On/Off". There were 40 seconds worth of programmable time events and 30 control function events, but we rarely used more than about 20 for a two projector-two hour run. The stepper relay would stop after each projector start up on the last time column used. At 10 seconds before the end of a 1 hour, 6,000 foot reel of 35mm film, a metal foil tape on the edge of the film would roll across a brass film guide roller near the end of the sound head rollers. The 4 inch strip of foil would bridge an insulated gap of the brass roller resulting in the DC stepper relay to trigger one second step bursts and start the next projector switch-over. Good memories. Some of "between reel free time" was spent designing my first RYGB laser projector and control console in 1976-77.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NWHills 4 & Me2.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	239.4 KB 
ID:	60557
    To the right of the right projector is a wall-mount relay rack panel with a Marantz 16 Stereo 100Watt-per-channel power amp and a Marantz stereo pre-amp, to the right of it is the diode-pin switching matrix, with red diode pins. I can see the case to my HP-35 calculator below the pin matrix on the film reel storage cabinet.

None of the old projectionists wanted anything to do with this new fangled automation technology because they knew it spelled the end of their relatively skilled jobs. I embraced the old and new technology and learned a lot in the process.

I ran across "Pipe Dreams" almost two decades ago, maybe a bit less. About the same time I caught enamored with the computer games "Myst" & "Riven". The remastered version of this and Wayne Lytle's many others are quite something to behold.

In one of the first comments in this YT post by Lachniet from @vensoah reads:

Fun fact: The guy who created this, Wayne Lytle, wrote custom software that allows you to rig up the 3D instruments and plug in notation in the form of a MIDI file. The instruments would then animate themselves according to the notes written in the file. That means every note is 100% accurate and the instruments are not being animated to the music, but rather the music is animating the instruments.

Lachniet I presume has remastered a huge number of these mechanical wonders. It is nice to see them again.

Check Gyro Drums out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFV339D9SsY
    Last edited by lasermaster1977; 08-06-2023 at 12:57.