Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LDS and LDB to ILDA convert

Well, I think as more and more hobbyists get involved there will be a lot more free ILDA frames for us. I can understand companies wanting to protect their investment but we hobbyists should try to share everything we can (that is ours to share). Then when it is time to create a show there is a large base to choose from. Besides, it isn't the ILDA frames that make a show good. It is the music and how the frames are pieced together and intermingled with other effects that make a show good. I'll definitely be sharing anything that I create... although up til now I haven't created anything.

I know we have the FTP but it would be nice if we had something a little better so that they could be browsed. Not sure how that would work, maybe some sort of ActiveX browser control? Just a thought.

Good idea!! make an addon to youre viewer?? hehe
    you want the frames showed as a webpage?

Pangolin FB3 QS/LivePro/SMS2Laser
    Riya MultiBus
    Pangolin LD2000 Pro

I was thinking the same but just haven’t had the time to look into it / wouldn’t know where to start.

Ideally something web based, that will look at a folder(s) on the server and make a list of them all on a web page with thumbnails + click to play kind of feature.

(have different folders for different categories and have them displayed accordingly)

Just getting something web based to be able to read and output the file format.
    Regards,

Aidan

Just a few very quick points:

The Pangolin LD2000 system includes a whole lot of frames and shows for which we made special arrangements with the original creators so that we can distribute. As I wrote in the past -- it is something like $250,000 worth of artwork that people receive with the LD2000 system. As part of the agreements we have with the original authors, in many cases we agree that we will do what we can to protect their rights. This protection comes in many forms, but one of them is the terms of our license agreement, which state that people can not use Pangolin-Provided Show Elements (PPSE) on a non-Pangolin platform.

The artwork that people create themselves is, by definition, not "Pangolin-Provided Show Elements", so people can do any damn thing they please with this artwork (including export it and use it on a non-Pangolin platform).

With respect to art-ware you might have purchased in LDS format (if it is Lasershow Designer Secure format), the original artwork creator has some options in terms of how they can "encode" the artwork. If they have asked you for your LD2000 serial number, they can encode the content in such a way that only you can use it yourself, but nobody else can use it. Or they can also send it to you with an "encoding" such that you can export it or do anything you want with it. Nevertheless, this is sort of between you and the original artwork creator. You will have to check with them to see about their comfort level in how you use their artwork. In any event and in every event, if you so choose, you can always ask the original artwork creators to supply their artwork in ILDA format. It would be their peragative as to whether they are comfortable with that or not...

The Lasershow Designer Secure file format gives the artwork creator maximum control over what happens with their artwork once it leaves their studio -- and they should have this power -- since they are the artwork creator. One thing that has plagued this industry recently is piracy. Piracy can be defended by attorneys, but I hope everyone will agree that there are enough rich attorneys in the world. It is best if everybody simply does the right thing, and uses artwork that is entitled to them...

And one more point. The LD2000 system can load the PIC file format which is commonly used by DSP and LDS/Phoenix, along with 10 other file formats.

Best regards,

William Benner

but I hope everyone will agree that there are enough rich attorneys in the world.
    I agree! Just like what Danny Devito said in a great flick several years ago. "What do you call 500 lawyers at the bottom of the sea?"

"A good start..."