Thread: Help in connecting via DMX (Newbie)

Default Help in connecting via DMX (Newbie)

G'Day Guys,
    Very new and Raw to this Laser stuff. Intend to hang around for a while.
    Purchased a cheap Laser box off EBay unbranded. Mainly cause with other past hobbies ive spent a tonne on a new item not knowing what to actually buy.
    So get mysely a 2W 2000RGB Light Laser Box.
    Has ILDA and DMX connectors on rear.
    Has preprogrammed animations and geo lines etc. This can and does get controlled from display on rear. Works well.
    Been trying to connect a DMX/USB interface lead.
    Used 4 different PC's with different x86, x64, Win7, Win10, XP.
    None connected.
    Used Freestyler, Qlc+ and LaserOs.
    Set Laser box to address 10 and then when I pick a Laser Fixture i set it to 10 but still no go.
    A problem i have is it being UNBRANDED I am unable to get 100% fixture.
    Where am I going wrong?
    The PC's all have uDMX driver installed and in the device manager it was 'working correctly'
    Any Help would be greatly appreciated.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2W-RGB-Scanning-Animation-Laser-Light-Voice-Control-Disco-Stage-Light-Party-Show-Laser-Projector.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	60667

Quote Originally Posted by Saintaholic View Post
    Any Help would be greatly appreciated.
    There is a ton of things that can go wrong here. The best thing to do, is two things.

1. Conctact seller and get the instructions for the DMX part of the laser. Almost non are the same when it comes to channel configuration. You need to know how many DMX channels are occupied by the fixture, What each channel are controlling, and what walues are triggering the effect.

2. Faultfinding by elimination.
    A)Is there any leds on the dmx interface indicating it is working properly? The ones i have do not light when connection is bad and no driver loaded (As an example) Most interfaces makes the led flicker when sending data.
    b) Don`t assume picking a laser from fixture-library will work on your laser. Make your own according to map from seller.
    C) Dips on laser probably have 10 dips meaning one dip is for DMX on/off. Make sure it is ON.
    D) Forget about DMX and lasers. Get a ILDA interface (Pangolin/Helios) and some software and yoy will have 100times the fun and challenge

/Espen
    __________________________________________________ __________

More projects than time available.
    More projects started than finished.
    More money spent than earned.
    More failure than success.
    Just got to love lasers!