Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for manual / pinouts for a Melles Griot IMA101030BLS012

Laser Warning Looking for manual / pinouts for a Melles Griot IMA101030BLS012

Hello, Got a Melles Griot 457-488nm ion laser and matching power supply. Got it working by shorting pins 1 to 3 and 19 to 21 for the interlock, but it has a 35s warm up time before it turns on. the 25 pin port on the PSU is labeled ‘remote p2’ and I would like to try and get a little more functionality over just on and off, The issue however I cannot find any info what the rest of the 21 pins out of the 25 actual do… so am wondering if anyone has the manual for the laser or even just the pinouts for the port. If you need any extra info or have questions am happy to answer.

Thanks!

Info as it appears on the power supply.
    MODEL NO: 300-002
    HEAD MODEL NO: IMA101030BLS012
    MFG DATE: JUNE 2001
    S/N: M0690-2

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Picture of power supply panel and head please...

PSU probably made by a contractor Martek Power, rather then Melles...

I need to find 20 year old notes, if I still have them.

Martek power was bought by Eaton. Eaton Martek may still support you.

Melles was bought by IDEX Corp.

IDEX dropped the
    Ion line.

I'm not sure on that model. It looks like the 532 series connector, but could be a model designed to be compatible with JDSU or German machines.

For me the true way to tell would be to open it up and trace certain pins.

You should ask at Dynamic Laser in Utah...

You should have a loop around set of pins for the front panel pot, the head pot, light feedback, and current constant current operation. If the supply is soaring up to the upper limit from lack of controls, it can shorten the life of your tube.

Should also have signals for light and current measurement and interlock/idle. Plus Vref out.

I've had my hands on most models but never an IMA.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 11-26-2023 at 10:57.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Thanks for all the info, here are the photos you requested.
    I have not reached out to any manufacturers yet just figured I would ask here first and see if anyone had played with one before and had the manual kicking around.

Needs be, I am happy to pop open the PSU and follow some traces, but am hoping to avoid it if I can.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2mNTQs9.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	4.43 MB 
ID:	60730Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rv7dBdm.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	4.48 MB 
ID:	60731Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dIZ0ALQ.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	3.77 MB 
ID:	60732Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PewRsc3.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	4.09 MB 
ID:	60733Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EItk3UP.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	3.80 MB 
ID:	60734

Olympus (and others) fiber feed for a confocal microscope over the light feedback sensor.. Probably get a nicer beam if you pop that off and remove its focusing lens.

Four screws on the silver bracket.

There should be a light sensor under the round cover the bracket is bolted to.

Confocal microscopy usually has the green line at 514.5 and the 505.4 nm line omitted. So probably blue only optics, the blu in the part confirms that.

If its for Olympus., the DB25 will be compatible with NEC/Showa Optics lasers. Maybe, maybe not.

Very late tomorrow at the earliest on any other data I can find. I need to trace the pinout of the DB25 test card I have.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 11-26-2023 at 18:13.

Let me see what I can find. I worked at Melles Griot for 32 yrs.

The fiber manipulator on the front was used to hold a Point Source fiber cable. There are no lenes in it and it can be removed. The tube inside has internal mirrors that are fritted to the tube. There is a beam splitter inside the laser head that samples a very small amount of light. That is the feedback system used to control the output power. You can operate the laser in light feedback mode or standard current control. It has been 9 years since i worked there. I will search my stuff to see if I can find a manual. The part number is a smart pn i.e. ima = internal mirror argon, the 030 = 30mW, BLS = blue line single mode. What i can't remember is if bls was single line 488nm only or blue lines 457nm to 488nm. The power supplies i believe was manufactured by Laser Drive. They also made our HeNe supplies. Give me some time and ill see what I come up with

Martek bought Laser Drive. Makes sense.
    I'm still trying to find the files. I have the Laser Drive data some place.

Steve

Popped open the laser head and gave it a little blowout/clean up since it was a bit dusty/corroded on the heatsink. Tried to follow some of the traces back but admittedly just don't know enough about thies lasers to really know what I am looking for, (Have only really messed around with diode lasers in the past.)

I do have a 8m long fiber cable that I might or might not install on the laser head, depending on the functionality I end up getting out of this laser, so I don't want to pull off the fiber manipulator yet.

Have done a really long internet scrub this weekend trying to find any info I could about the pinouts and have been surprised at how little is around for these specific lasers. If I do get the pinouts figured out and a remote I am happy with made, I will be sure to make a post releasing all the info I have. But right now aside from the interlock pins the rest of it is an enigma.

I called some one who would know. IMA has same pinout as 643/543 DB25. He's downsizing his business and be glad to sell you a remote test card or a full remote.

801 *** 520 *** 4437
    Call Amir at above. remove stars

Steve

[/FONT]I do have a 8m long fiber cable that I might or might not install on the laser head, depending on the functionality I end up getting out of this laser, so I don't want to pull off the fiber manipulator yet.

Have done a really long internet scrub this weekend trying to find any info I could about the pinouts and have been surprised at how little is around for these specific lasers. If I do get the pinouts figured out and a remote I am happy with made, I will be sure to make a post releasing all the info I have. But right now aside from the interlock pins the rest of it is an enigma.[/QUOTE]

I know Amir. We worked together at Omnichrome and then Melles. If you happen to talk to him again, tell him kevin tice say hi.

Kevin, what did you do for Omni?

Steve