Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding my old analog console

Thanks for the info Greg greatly appreciated. See previous post.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

The digital circuit is a true Z axis rotator. It has minor glitches at 180, 270 degrees.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I'm feeling better my vertigo is gone.

I'm going to need to read through those posts and see if I can understand what is going on. I'm hoping i can put together the rotation circuit and give it a try. This will take me a few weeks. Need to buy the components.

My current breadboard is working much better. Adjusted some op amp gains and getting much better images. Bought 2 more old g120 galvos and they are working well.

How old are the kids you expect to introduce the joys of analog image synthesis to? Have they seen your cycloids? What were their reactions? I work in early learning, and have been considering how I would configure an analog panel young children could successfully explore, and, more difficult to figure out, what output device could survive and be safe in an early learning environment.[/QUOTE]

Grandkids are 4 and 6yrs. They both love lasers. We have supervised play with some low power laser pointers. They both also love music. I shared a youtube video of a on old laserium video and they liked it. I am working on teaching them how to play music as well - but a slow process.

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

when we developed our abstract console (the radiator), we added hdmi video output so it can be used in scenarios where it's unsafe to use lasers. that also makes it safe around children. you might consider the same sort of approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevint View Post
    How old are the kids you expect to introduce the joys of analog image synthesis to? Have they seen your cycloids? What were their reactions? I work in early learning, and have been considering how I would configure an analog panel young children could successfully explore, and, more difficult to figure out, what output device could survive and be safe in an early learning environment.
    Grandkids are 4 and 6yrs. They both love lasers. We have supervised play with some low power laser pointers. They both also love music. I shared a youtube video of a on old laserium video and they liked it. I am working on teaching them how to play music as well - but a slow process.[/QUOTE]
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Great idea. Thank you

My degree is Secondary Ed, Jr High through High School... I work at a University College of Engineering as a Research Technician.

If any child is especially attracted to the laser light and is performing poorly in school, or is well off the beaten path development wise, it might be time for testing and an a IEP, Individual Educational Plan.. Let us just say in 39 years of playing with lasers I've seen an informal correlation between obsession with Coherent Light, and problems in classroom performance. I may or may not fit that description, I will neither confirm nor deny. Most folks I've seen that in have a rough time when younger and it does work out in the end, some ending up with owning corporations or teaching PHDs. It gets outgrown.

My personal theory on the subject involves high contrast ratio and color, plus high line pair detail, ie interference fringes, being more attractive to those struggling. Don't get me started on high contrast ratio materials (Books!, hands on with objects, motion, experiential learning) being important for those struggling with certain issues.

Keep in mind not all of us develop to often cruel social norms at the same rate. We're not statistics, but Human. Bell curves and standard deviations be damned. I've also seen, pun intended, some very brilliant, successful people with the same obsession.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 12-06-2023 at 07:59.

swamidog is offline Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    M

If any child is especially attracted to the laser light and is performing poorly in school, or is well off the beaten path development wise, it might be time for testing and an a IEP, Individual Educational Plan.. Let us just say in 39 years of playing with lasers I've seen an informal correlation between obsession with Coherent Light, and problems in classroom performance. I may or may not fit that description, I will neither confirm nor deny. Most folks I've seen that in have a rough time when younger and it does work out in the end, some ending up with owning corporations or teaching PHDs. It gets outgrown.
    or they might secretly be cats.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

They are likely to join the "Boriod" band. (In house joke)

Anyways, if you really, really, want to have fun with abstracts and go totally analog, this is a "pass through zero" Oscillator...

http://aldebaran-systems.com/VCQO.htm

Don't know if its in Gramps budget, but much, much better then 4423s. You only need one.

Steve

Thanks for all the input and advice. Don't get me wrong. A large part of this project is for my own entertainment and learning. I love this kind of stuff.