Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building a scanner out of wood - bad idea?

Cool

Heh... I'm not quite as bad as some of the guys here. I know one guy that is on revision 9 of his projector! Of course, his projector is a freakin' work of art, and looks better than most of the commercial stuff you see. (Well, with the exception of a Jenlase or Arctos unit, that is.)

But yeah, you build it, get the bugs worked out, and then you realize that it would have been so much better if you'd only done it this other way... From that point it's all a matter of how much the little details bug you. I lived with a sub-par monochrome green projector for quite a while, and when I first switched to RGB I actually considered leaving the old optical table intact. But then I decided hell no! If I was going RGB, I was going to re-do everything: new mounts, new dichros, fully adjustable floating tables for all lasers, and room for a second Maxyz module. (which I did end up adding right at the end of the build) It was a pain in the ass to change everything, but it was worth it.

Of course, now that I've got it all together I can see lots of areas where I could have improved the design. (Space, for one... This layout is too cramped.) Maybe for the next one...

It's all a learning experience...

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 09-18-2007 at 23:25.

Default Optical path of passion

Hello All,

Being that I am in the process of designing / assembling my first RGY
    ( RGB later) I have given the topic much thought. I agree….there WILL be a further generation…but for now…these are my thoughts.

The first issue is the question of ultimate use…will this unit be used only with family and friends viewing…or a public venue ? Well…for me it will only be family and friends.. So CDRH certification is not needed….therefore interlocks are not planned. Room for a shutter has however been incorporated.

I want the projector to be a small and light weight as possible, yet rigid !! .I have chosen ¼” aluminum plate of 12.5” x 14.5” dimensions as platforms. Two of these…stacked vertically…assembled with six (6) posts of 3/8” SS allthread with a space of 4” between the upper and lower platform. The Upper platform will contain all the laser heads, dichros, mirror, and scanner. I have a MaXYZ dual Red and a Lasever LRS532ML Green, As to the later addition of a Blue DPSS…the footprint available is 5” x 7” for the Blue head….I have researched what is offered….and 5” x 7” should suffice. The electronics…PS’s , amps, drivers and cooling fans will reside on the Lower platform. I have not yet decided to use digital temp readouts to monitor the laser head temps. I believe the Lasever has overtemp protection and the MaXYZ run cool anyway….so…temp readouts are window dressing !

The platform / post assembly is really like a framework on which the lasers, optics and electronics are to be secured. The question of outer covering is yet unresolved. The thinking is that I want to protect the optics from dust / dirt….but I also am proud to display the working guts !!! Likely the eventual “ skin ” will be a combination of 1/8” aluminum plate
    and Lexan Plexiglass. The six (6) spacer posts will be brought up to a high enough elevation so that the very top Lexan cover will be bolted to these posts. ( Future iterations may use transparent Aluminum ...when
    available...although transparent Alumina is currently out there )

I am just now starting to attach the lasers and optics to the upper platform. Achieving near perfect vertical LH alignment DOES require access to a machine shop ( Thanx Bill) I truly appreciate all those who have already gone down this path and left the many posts to guide my selections. If you find ANY error in my direction…PLEASE advise. !!!!!
    I am taking pictures and may ask for a small spot in the gallery for those that follow this same passion !!

CDBeam ( Bob )

Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !

Hey Bob,
    Sounds like you are calculating this one out- that's great. Can I ask where you acquired your AL? I cannot even begin seriously designing anything yet, due to the fact that half of my key components are still in transit from the vendors (as I have cried about in a few other posts). Here's one thing I have thought about though, I am planning on mounting my Pangolin FB3 board inside of its own separate module that will be removable from my projector. The fact that the board acts as its own dongle when the software NEEDS to see it spawned that part of the design. I thought it would be nice to just disconnect a few cables and tote it to the PC where I write most of my code (bedroom), rather than lug the entire projector upstairs. A buddy at work recently gave me an external CD drive that might make a nice little housing. Oh, and good point on the commercial vs home use thought. Those are 2 very different worlds in most cases.
    Thanks, Mike

You can get melanine or whatever it is called and it is pretty good for experimenting with layout. Melanine is basically particle board with a laminate coating on it. You can get it from Home Deport in the wood section. They sell it in big sheets or you can buy small pieces that are intended for use as shelving. Anyway, it's very cheap and easy to work with and the laminate coating makes it nice and smooth. I definitely recommend it for prototyping before wasting a lot of time drilling and tapping holes in expensive aluminum.

Default Building to Bolero

Hi Mike/Thanx Gary for the scanners
    Well the Aluminum comes from a local Fab / welding shop and was $35...cut to size....so I think that is in the ball park ??Likely most areas have one or more local fab shops...that do light industrial work....or build trailers....or such....
    The planning, and layout is truly alot of enjoyment....In an odd way...it is like listening to the classic " Bolero "...piece by piece....no hurry.....just enjoy the trip....and arrange ...and re-arrange the pieces....as the ultimate day of " First Coherent White Light " draws closer....Wow...I shoulda been a comic book writter !!!
    Anyway...aluminum is a pleasure to work with...transparent ...or not !!
    And at the rate I proceed....I won't make any mistakes....HAHA ya...right !!!....but...that will just give me an excuse....HAHA to build again....
    And yes....the FB3 is the dongle.....but I wonder at the complications of making it...removable !!! Because...like you...I predict that I will want to show design....with just the laptop !!! Maybe Pangolin will sell another
    DAC...for a reduced price....so one can do this !!!!!!

Thanks for the nice words...BoB
    Beam Axiom #1 ~The Quantum well is DEEP ! Photons for ALL !!
    Beam Axiom #2 ~Yes...As a matter of fact...I DO wear tinfoil on my head !!
    Beam Axiom #3 ~Whe'n dout...Po ah Donk awn et !!
    Beam Axiom #4 ~A Chicken in every Pot, and a Laser Lumia in every Livingroom !!
    Beam Axiom #5 ~"Abstract Photonic Expressionism"....is "Abstractonimical" !!
    Beam Axiom #6 ~ "A Posse ad Essea" ~ From being possible to being actual ...is the beam target !