Thread: Mirror Mirror on the Ball

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Default Mirror Mirror on the Ball

https://youtu.be/CnnTzKPM6tw

Enjoy, really high quality...

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Wow - those things are *BUILT*. I've only ever seen the styrofoam balls with the square mirrors. Obviously those are much easier to assemble though.

Everything about these things is complicated, from the metal forming necessary to get the dome shapes, to the painstaking trimming of the circular mirrors, to the grouting process where the mirrors are locked in for all time. Just insane! But yeah, that ball will last forever (unless you drop it). I'm guessing they are crazy expensive compared to the cheap styrofoam ones though.

Adam

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Company is here, and they make more then mirror balls.

https://www.nissho-osk.jp/

The circular mirror on that ball makes it a lot easier to do the legal audience scanning calcs, hint, hint . Especillay if you just overfill it, Transfer Functions and ABCD Matrices are the key to Gaussian optical insight. Ignore them at your parallel. (inside joke)

Google Translate works,

The evils of Google linked me to some one else's thread with the exact same title.

This makes for an interesting read:

https://www.metafilter.com/203612/Mi...or-On-The-Ball

The cheapest is around 300$ The largest , when decked out, is $2500 USD retail.

I know what I'm buying if I'm touring, and that is this tough stuff. Last tour I saw had a very dedicated stagehand for hanging the ball and a dedicated winch for storing it in its road case.

My bet is they cater to school stages, old style clubs, fixed installs, etc.

The grout removes one of the agencies' objections, edge diffraction as the mirror rotates.

Built in DMX speed control is nice.

Steve

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by mixedgas; 06-02-2024 at 08:53.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Default Thanks for sharing! Great video!

Thanks mixedgas for this insight into today's high quality mirror balls. It is a far cry better than those from the old days...square mirrors glued onto Styrofoam spheres.
    I loved seeing them form the aluminum shell halves.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

this is where the small world thing comes into play.

the person who made the post on metafilter (hippybear) is an old friend of mine and i just discovered his "about" page lists to some of my laser shows.

crazy, man!

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Company is here, and they make more then mirror balls.

https://www.nissho-osk.jp/

The circular mirror on that ball makes it a lot easier to do the legal audience scanning calcs, hint, hint . Especillay if you just overfill it, Transfer Functions and ABCD Matrices are the key to Gaussian optical insight. Ignore them at your parallel. (inside joke)

Google Translate works,

The evils of Google linked me to some one else's thread with the exact same title.

This makes for an interesting read:

https://www.metafilter.com/203612/Mi...or-On-The-Ball

The cheapest is around 300$ The largest , when decked out, is $2500 USD retail.

I know what I'm buying if I'm touring, and that is this tough stuff. Last tour I saw had a very dedicated stagehand for hanging the ball and a dedicated winch for storing it in its road case.

My bet is they cater to school stages, old style clubs, fixed installs, etc.

The grout removes one of the agencies' objections, edge diffraction as the mirror rotates.

Built in DMX speed control is nice.

Steve

- - - Updated - - -
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.