Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pangolin

Talking Pangolin

Just 7 day ago I had a dream called "Flashback 3 evaluation kit". Today somebody rang my door with a box in his hands.

Considering that:
    I placed the order on Saturday,
    on Monday was a pubblic holiday in the States,
    I live in Italy and Pangolin is in Florida....
    Today is Friday and the kit is PERFECT..!!!

I think it's time for a standing ovation...

Thank You !!!

Con grats with the Flashback 3 evaluation kit

Pangolin FB3 QS/LivePro/SMS2Laser
    Riya MultiBus
    Pangolin LD2000 Pro

I sent an email to Lasergraph about hardware upgrade and their tracing software. The response took more then a week. And it was " Can you tell us about your company". Didn't I ask a very specific question? !@##%$^&**...

So I sent an email to Pangolin about their TraceIT. 5 minutes later I got email telling me everything I need to know about it. They didn't have TraceIT fully ready as stand alone but they recompiled for me. I think it was William R. Benner who I spoke to. No nonsense business lingo.. just strait to the face talk and facts. My hat is off to Pangolin for their customer service!.
    Last edited by Dr Laser; 09-07-2007 at 23:53.

I have to say that it is the best customer service I have ever had! Bill is very responsive and patient with the question. I got a great deal and I got free overnight shipping!
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Hi guys,

Thanks for the kudos. I am happy that everyone who has written on this forum (so far) has had good luck with a timely response from me.

I will admit that there are certainly times when I am not able to respond right away. For example, sometimes when I travel, emails can pile up. Also, I recently had to take more than a week off from the office, during surgery. During that time, I tried to deflect some of these emails to other staff members, but still, when I returned to the office, I had around 600 emails sitting in the inbox... As of today, I think I got it down to around 100. I am trying to prioritize...

Generally telephone is best for an urgent inquiry. We have staff monitoring the phones, at the very least, from 10am until 6pm, and often times after that.

Regarding the other companies mentioned, I think some companies are afraid to give out information for fear that it will be used for competitive analysis. We always give factual answers to factual questions. If the questions get a bit suspicious, we will at least inquire as to why they are being asked . This happens only rarely though...

Best regards,

William (Bill) Benner

My only regret is not getting the Pangolin set first. Now I have to reprogram myself. Thats fine though. After seeing just the sheer awsome performance of it in person the first time ...I was sold. A message to any who may get into scanning with the light fantastic....call Bill first. You won't be sorry. Rock solid with the best board. The software itself is a great place to play in as there are so many features and tools. I have only to set up my projector and watch one show. Now I want to learn to create a show myself with it. I just have a few Ilda frames I need to figure out how to implement into the timeline. It has truely improved the performance of the projector and it's overall capabilities. Thanks for creating all the great tools to play with.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Hey Mike;

Your post sounds familiar. Like lots of other members here, I also had buyers remorse after buying an inferior product before getting Pangolin. I didn't know how bad it was until I saw DZ's Pangolin system running at FLEM last January. That's when I realized that all the hype about Pangolin being the cat's meow wasn't just hype - it really *is* the cat's meow!

One tip about learning to use the Showtime editor. WATCH THE DVD FIRST! I didn't, and as a result I ended up wasting a lot of time. The interface isn't all that hard to learn, but you need to understand a couple things about how it works before you try to build a show. One thing that tripped me up is that the last effect you used stays highlighted, so if you drag a new frame onto the timeline it automatically gets that other effect applied to it. Likewise, if you drag an effect to the top line of a track it will also drop in the currently selected frame from the frame list. So if you already have the frame on the track and just want to apply an effect to it, drop the effect on one of the narrow lines beneath the top one. That way it will only apply the effect and not the effect plus a frame.

The reset track effect is your friend. Use it liberally. Once you've faded a frame out or panned it off the screen, drop in a reset track effect with the "blank laser" frame to completely kill that track. Then you can re-use it later. If you don't do this, the board will keep drawing those points even though they're out of the viewing area. (Slows things down.)

Finally, remember that when you save the show, that doesn't automatically save the frames that go with it. Those are saved separately. So if you change or add some frames while working on a show, make sure you save the frame list too.

When you get some time, sit down and watch some of the other shows that come with Pangolin. Some of my favorites are Elevation, Enya, Revelation, Born to be Wild, Again, 40 hr week, Music, and Kryptonite.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Regarding the other companies mentioned, I think some companies are afraid to give out information for fear that it will be used for competitive analysis. We always give factual answers to factual questions. If the questions get a bit suspicious, we will at least inquire as to why they are being asked . This happens only rarely though...
    Hmmm.... now I got it. I will be more gentle with those Germans. Muhahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    Some of my favorites are Elevation, Enya, Revelation, Born to be Wild, Again, 40 hr week, Music, and Kryptonite.
    Is there anything more modern then that?. No don't get me wrong I like some of 60-70s music and Enya (great music to go asleep). IMHO most laser show creators either over 50 or they have their parents music taste.

Or is it something to do with a copyright?
    Last edited by Dr Laser; 09-09-2007 at 14:12.

Cool

Kryptonite is pretty new (3 doors down released the song in 2005). "Music" (by Madonna) came out in 2000, as did "Elevation", by U2.

One More Time (another tune that has a Pangolin show) was released by Daft Punk in 2001. These are just a few examples off the top of my head (with a quick peek at album release dates courtesy of Amazon.com).

So not all the shows use old music. But you've got to remember that it takes a *huge* amount of work to create a show. You don't want to pick a piece of music that is going to end up as a passing fad... If you do, then all your hard work is wasted because by the time you get the show finished, people are sick of the song. (Imagine if someone did a laser show to "Who Let the Dogs Out" by the Baha Men!)

Songs that have stood the test of time are the ones you want to use for a laser show. Otherwise you end up creating a show that no one wants to buy or watch because they hate the music.

Adam