Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Novation Remote Zero SL - It Rocks!!!

Will try do something tonight. Just having lunch so no real time ATM

Jem,

I completely remapped everything two days ago, I think it works better than the old mapping. So I will post the new mapping later with everything except the velocity pads mapped. Unfortunately Pangolin will not accept the drumnote messages that the velocity pads send, so can't use them.

Maybe if enough of us use these consoles Pangolin might update Live Pro to accept drumnote messages. They are usually second to none when it comes to that kind of stuff.

Can you do me a big favour? I lost a load of old mail last week in a big cleanup and that instruction was one of them. Please can you get it back to me somehow. I will then update it and add all the new mappings and post it all together.

Saves loads of time, as the manual assumes you have a degree in music production and I knew nothing about MIDI. So it might save you all the grief that I had trying to configure it.

I'll send you a PM with my Email address, If you can then send me an email i'll reply tonight with the instructions.

Thanks

Jem

I to have gone for this after we spoke Jem,

been looking into it for ages, i am no expert on MIDI so may be calling for your help

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by aclasers View Post
    I am no expert on MIDI so may be calling for your help
    Hmmm... It'll be like the blind leading the blind then

Jem

Default How to set up the Remote Zero

Here are some instructions for setting up the Remote Zero:

The controller has 40 templates pre configured and no space to save a new one that I can find, so I edited the first one 'V-Station 1'. You access the templates using the data select encoder (Bang in the middle at the bottom). Make sure the encoder is set to 'Template' (LED), to change the setting press the encoder down to scroll through each function. Once set to 'Template', rotating the encoder scrolls through the available templates.

First you need to unlock the memory. You do this by pressing the 'Global' button in the row straight down the middle. The left screen displays the options and the right screen displays instructions. Press the 'Up Arrow' next to the left screen and you should see the option 'MemProt'. Set this to 'Off' by either Pressing the button below the text or turning the top encoder below the text. Once done, go back to 'Play' mode (Button above Global).

Now start Live Pro, go to the 'Environment' menu and select 'Midi Settings', make sure your controller shows in the 'Midi Devices' tab, mine comes up as 'USB Audio Device' (I found installing the driver caused issues).

Next go to the 'Midi to Sliders' tab in Live Pro. Highlight the control you want in the list and move the desired encoder/fader. If Pangolin doesn't pick the control up it means the control is sending the wrong type of midi signal. All you do then is hold the 'Edit' button in the middle row on the Remote Zero and move the selected control. First option on screen is 'Control', scroll the encoder below it until the control option reads 'CC' also make sure the CC number is different from any other control, otherwise you will control two options with one fader. Now Pangolin will have picked it up, also at this point you can change the way the Numbers show on the display as you move the fader, by editing the second column in the right screen. I selected 1-127 (default) for the things like scanrate, but for position/rotation etc I use -64/+63 so zero is then in the middle of the encoder/faders travel, you change this option using the encoder below it on the display (Encoder 2). You can then go along and select min/max value displayed etc, defaults should be ok though. Once the encoder is configured you can name it by pressing the 'Up Arrow' next to the left screen, use the controls under the menu items on screen to create your text. Creating names is pretty straightforward, but one tip which took me ages to work out is how to delete a mistake. You need to select the 'Punctu' option so it reads 'Numbers' then press the button a second time so it says 'Punctu' again, then it will have deleted the mistake.

Then go to the 'Special Keys' tab in Live Pro, couldn't see too much useful stuff here except Transport controls, Blackout and toggle Lock X/Y state. The buttons have to send Midi On Note messages which they don't by default, so hold down 'Edit' on the Remote Zero and press the required button, change the control option to 'Note'. Now the buttons will be picked up.You can also change button type from 'Button, Toggle' etc by pressing the 'Up Arrow' next to the left screen and changing the 'Button' option.

Then there are Midi commands, loads of great options here.

Select a blank cue in Live pro and go to the cue editing tab, on left next to Live Control. Go right to the bottom and expand the 'Commands' box. You can then select one or more options to assign to the cue. I would advise the Track Toggle Active state for each track as one set of controls, this will allow you to change colour, position, rotation etc for one track without affecting the others, so you could have for example a big green wave hovering above the crowd with a bunch of red beams scanning around and panning up and down (Cool). Once you have chosen your commands select 'Midi Note' from the 'Others' box below, choose 'Global Note Assignment' and click learn. The 'Do not change current page' checkbox allows you to activate the cue from any page without leaving your current page, well handy, eventually I will assign the velocity pads to my favourite cues and then can stab them in from anywhere. You can also use commands on existing cues so they work with that cue only.

Selecting pages works with the 'Data Select' encoder by default, one click changes one page and once you reach page 9 it automatically switches to set two, so ideal. The encoder needs to be in 'Program' mode for this to work.

Finally you need to save the thing. You do this by pressing the 'Write' button in the center row, set up the template name in the left screen and press 'Write' again. You now have a live controller.

The attached file is my current mappings.

That should be enough to get you started.
    Attached Files Attached Files

any news, vidz or photos?

Pangolin FB3 QS/LivePro/SMS2Laser
    Riya MultiBus
    Pangolin LD2000 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by cruch View Post
    any news, vidz or photos?
    The only news is rather disappointing... due to several reasons we were not able to get things as prepared as we wanted to in time for this particular event

There's a couple of things in the pipeline at the moment though, so hopefully we'll have some nice pics soon

Default Velocity Pads Working

Good news:

Having spoken to Bill at Pangolin, I have resolved the Velocity Pads issue. You need to set them to DrumNote and then make sure the notes they send are unique to the rest of the setup.

Good tip from Bill:

If you display the MIDI keyboard in Live Pro, you get a text box which displays the MIDI messages as they are received. However, it doesn't seem to show on a dual screen setup.

Hey Insanity,
    Do you know how I can utilize the full "Master Speed" in Live (not live pro)? Right now with the Remote zero, I can only go to 100%, is ther a way to double the pots output? Just wondering, and also in LivePRO, how did you map the "reset Track" from the commands menu, I was trying to se this up, but I can not find where to map a midi note to it. Any help would be appreciated!