Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Novation Remote Zero SL - It Rocks!!!

Default Novation Remote Zero SL - It Rocks!!!

Hi,

Just thought I would say a few words about the Novation Remote Zero SL Midi controller.

I bought this controller to use as an interface into Pangolin Live Pro and have to say it is ideal. The unit has 8 faders, 8 encoders,8 Pots and 32 buttons, all assignable, with 2 large illuminated displays.

It took minimal time to work out how to configure it and once I got the hang of it, found it to be an amazing bit of kit. Every control is configurable and it has enough of them to do pretty much anything except launch cues. I am using it with a touch screen though, so no issues there.

One of the biggest benefits is the large illuminated dual screens. You can name all of the controls and the names appear on the screen, so no problems with fiddling about in the dark.

All in all, this is a very robust unit and opens up a whoe new realm of tricks you can do in Live Pro, giving much greater control over track mixing and track control. The price is very low compared to other controllers of this calibre at less than £200 which is always a bonus.

My USB lead for my camera is up the wall at the moment, so no pics to show you, but this thing is all over the web and well worth a look.

Not a bad idea - i have been thinking of getting a couple of the cheap behringer control surfaces, but the lcd's are a nice touch... Think ill have to hit up the distributor when i get to work on monday
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

I can't credit it enough...Very solid construction and loads of features at a good price

Hello!

I've been lurking here for several months now so its about time I try and contribute something!

Anyhoo, just like to add, I use a Behringer BCF2000 midi / usb controller with Mamba Black. I've got stuff like intensity, sine wave, rotates and the like assigned to the faders and it has 20 buttons that I have cues assigned to for quick access.

Its quite a nice unit for the price and even has motorized faders. Maybe Old Grumpy can add some code to Mamba to make them move when you adjust things on screen!

Thanks for a great forum, and hello to Stanwax from whom I bought my first proper 532 module a few years ago!

-Matt.

That Novation unit looks ok. Korg used a similar trick for visual feedback but the device wasn't so well built. It had a keyboard that was especially nasty. Nothing against small keys, if it's good enough for the Onde Martinot, it's good enough for me, but badly moulded thermoplastics barely fit to make carrier bags Will Not Do.

Anyway, another nice tool is Döepfer's 'Pocket Electronics' and similar kits, they can be put into cases with any controls you want to add, so you can completely customise a control surface. No nice digital display feedback though, those tiny LCD's are really useful. Nothing worse than having a knob to reach instantly and still be thwarted by having no idea what it does. The best small LCD's will use RGB backlighting to give extra feedback of their state or purpose. And just to look cool. That Novation unit seems to use long LCD's, but the Korg devices used little separate ones, so they could be placed and coloured arbitrarily as needed.
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 09-09-2007 at 05:34.

Can I give my pound sterling worth of advice. Well it's will be just one word...no....it will be just a name of a product. I've bee using it for a while. M-AUDIO Mid-Air.) Being in the middle of the dance floor and be able to control anything....lasers light fixtures and smoke machines wirelessly is priceless. People always ask to press a few keys.
    Yes you can do remote desktop and walk with the laptop but it's not cool.......more nerdy.

Batteries and a bit of two-way radio for the MIDI. I think a lot of such widgets have been invented, there's a lot of demand for wireless MIDI. You should be able to plug it to any MIDI link you want, it's just a relay. Although, I don't think many devices are verbose enough with their feedback to make that as useful as it ought to be.

Edit: Does anyone know if the FB3 uses continuous controller messages for variable signals via MIDI, or SysEx messages? I'm hoping it's CC messages cos they're faster.
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 09-09-2007 at 10:22.

It doesn't look like the FB3 directly supports midi in a stand-alone configuration (unless there's a midi daughterboard I don't know about). It does support DMX (input only) through the DMX daughterboard.

Having said that, I'm a big midi fan myself, and want to implement a midi control solution as well. The Live Pro package (I received LivePro USB with my FB3) can link up to 4 separate midi hardware or software controllers, and allows virtually every aspect of a live show to be controlled by midi. This allows both real-time interaction with an attached controller, and automated control from a midi sequencer such as Cakewalk Sonar (which I use). Plenty of options for using note on/off, velocity, and CC messages for triggering cues & effects.

LivePro includes a "Laser preview" mode so if you happen to be stuck without the actual lasers (as I currently am) you could still plug in the FB3 to your laptop's USB port and build shows.

Pretty cool!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Quote Originally Posted by Lampy View Post
    Hello!

Thanks for a great forum, and hello to Stanwax from whom I bought my first proper 532 module a few years ago!

-Matt.
    Hello to you too Matt - Im sure if you told me a little more I would remember you - I do have a good memory for people. You are not the only former customer of mine to frquent this forum .
    If you are in leciestershire I hope you are gonna make the short trip on Feb 3rd and join us in laser heaven MkII.

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Hi Stanwax,

I'd love to attend, if thats ok! I'll bring some toys along too. Nothing as impressive as the stuff I've seen from the pictures of the last meet but the more the merrier I say!

I've only got green at the moment (an entertainer 600 doing 750mW) but I'd like to add about 500mW of blue and a MAXYZ dual red at some point. I know it will be know-where near balanced but thats ok by me!

I have a set of DT40-pros on order, infact I think they are waiting for me at home so I'd better get back before the missiz does!

I was running a set of catweazles but I think I have damaged the position detector by using them with a higher powered laser than reccomended.

Cheers,

-Matt