Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: FLEM 1.5 on October 20th, 2007!

Cool How to get to FLEM 1.5

Several people have asked about directions, so here's the short version:

The venue is located at 2220 edgewater drive in downtown Orlando. It is a yellow building on the corner that says CWA on it.

For those of you traveling in from out of town, you're going to want to come into Orlando on I-4. The venue is about one mile from exit 85 on I-4. Take exit 85 and turn onto WEST Princeton St. (Also known as 438 West) Follow West Princeton St. for about 2/3 of a mile, and then veer to the right as West Princeton St. becomes West Smith St. (Still called 438 West)

The next crossing street after you veer to the right will be Edgewater Drive. Take a LEFT onto Edgewater drive. (Also known as 424 South) The venue will be on the corner of the next block, where Edgewater drive crosses the eastbound traffic on East Princeton st. Parking is in the rear of the building.

Here is a link to a detailed view of the area on mapquest. Be sure to zoom in to the streets right around the venue so you can see how Princeton street is one-way (eastbound only) after the split to Smith street. Also, switch to the aerial view to get a good idea of the layout of the buildings in the area. There are a couple alleyways that you can use to move between the parking lots...

If you get lost, you can call me on my cell phone at (843) 324-0735 and I'll try to talk you in.

Remember - we start at 11 AM ono October 20th and will run until ~ midnight, or until we get tired and decide to pack it in...

See you there!

Adam

clandestiny is offline Eleventy-Billion Watt Ar/Kr >:)
    somewhere between orlando and san antonio

Allwhich- yes pm recieved. I await the return of my item.

Buffo, screen you say? yes I will bring one, I think I brought a 7.5 x 10 last time. If anyone in the area needs to rent screens I have serveral.
    1:1 RATIO UP TO 30X30. 4:3 SIZES UP TO 20X30 AND WIDESCREEN UP TO
    10X30. Drape kits also available.
    I like how you leave me out of the loop, use my building no problem, but don't
    bother to inform me of any special events such as this livepro lase off with Hayden. I used the smallest laser I have available last time, I wasn't planning
    on bringing more than the screen this time. Maybe I should rethink that-
    go big or go home

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by clandestiny View Post
    Buffo, screen you say? yes I will bring one, I think I brought a 7.5 x 10 last time.
    That works. Whatever you have handy. I'm sure we talked about it, but I don't remember what size we agreed on. But just about any size will work, so long as it's not taller than the ceiling...
    I like how you leave me out of the loop, use my building no problem, but don't bother to inform me of any special events such as this livepro lase off with Hayden.
    Surely you jest.?. We talked about Hayden's showtime live demonstration on the phone nearly a month ago. Plus we've been talking about it here in the forums too. Maybe you should log in more often!

Seriously though; the "lase-off" was a joke. It's not going to be a competition. I just wanted him to show us a few tricks and tips re: live play. I figure once we're all up to speed on showtime live, we can all fire up our projectors and have 3 or 4 of them going at the same time - all being played "live" to the same music.

You'll probably be bored by that, because you've been doing live play for a long time now. (Hell, maybe you should do the tutorial.!.)
    I used the smallest laser I have available last time, I wasn't planning on bringing more than the screen this time.
    Right. That's what we talked about on the phone. We should have 3 or 4 RGB projectors there, and we may have a couple other doodads as well. (I won't have the HGM 5 with me though - not enough time to finish the work I need to complete on it...) So we won't have an argon there, but I think we'll still have plenty of light. (remember that last time we only had DZ's RGB running for the whole time. Fred's RGB died fairly early on, and that left just your big argon projector and DZ's solid state one.)
    Maybe I should rethink that-
    That's up to you buddy... I figured since you brought a U-haul truck full of gear last time, we owed you a break this time! But if you want to bring something more, that's cool. Let me know if you need help loading though, and I'll arrange it.

BTW - since I'm not bringing the HGM 5, I wasn't going to bring that load center either. Do you think we still need it? If so, I'll try to make room for it, but I didn't think it would be needed. (Plenty of 110V power for the solid state projectors, and without my HGM 5 there's no need for 220.)

Adam

clandestiny is offline Eleventy-Billion Watt Ar/Kr >:)
    somewhere between orlando and san antonio

ahhhh, the lase off was just some added hype, i fell for it. looks like you got me.
    probably shouldn't need the load center- , i can still tap the stove if need be

believe it or not, i look foreward to haydens live pro demo, i haven't spent nearly as much time with it as everything else. I typically set it for one cue at a time only, and scroll through it like that. I haven't fooled much with all the other goodies. There is nothing like it for live events, but I still prefer the scripted stuff timed to the soundtrack-
    go big or go home

Cool Re: FLEM 1.5 details

Heh.. Didn't mean to sucker you in like that, Paul! And Hayden will be demoing Showtime live, not Live pro. (I think you're the only one that already has a license for Live Pro. The rest of us just have Showtime Live...) Besides, Hayden said that he was more experienced with Showtime Live than with Live Pro anyway. (Evidently Bill is the king when it comes to Live Pro.) Still, I imagine the setup is roughly the same. As I understand it, Showtime Live is like a "lite" version of Live Pro...

Hayden did say that he was planning to bring an external keypad of some sort (DMX controller, or a Midi keypad maybe?) that he could use to trigger effects in Showtime Live. I'll be interested to see how that works...

I'm also looking forward to a rousing discussion of CDRH variances. Wonder if you (or even Hayden) would be willing to bring an example or two of some of the variances that either of you have obtained over the years.?. Might be interesting to have an example or two to discuss. (Whatcha think?)

Glad to hear that I don't need to bring the load center. That eliminates a huge plastic tote bin from the pile of stuff I have to pack. (whew!) Like you said, we can always tap into the stove outlet if someone needs 220. (Although so far no one has said anything about needing 220...)

I'm pretty sure that DZ is planning to bring his speakers and that big amp he bought from you, along with a 2 channel mixer. That should be more than enough sound. (We used the same setup at SELEM 2007, which was a much bigger space, and it still sounded great!) So if you can bring the display screen, we should have everything we need.

Well, OK - there is one other thing that would be really cool... That is, if it's not going to be too much trouble for you.!. What do you think about bringing a scrim of some sort and hanging it from the ceiling? I'm thinking something gossamer, like window screening... We wouldn't need to leave it up all the time, but maybe for an hour or two, just to experiment.?.

If you've got some material handy, that's great. If not, *don't* go out of your way to get any. You're doing more than enough already by providing the venue... But if you have something lying around that might work, it could be cool to play with.

Adam

what do you need a projection screen?

Cool

Paul is going to bring a big projection screen so we can display graphics shows on it. (Better than just throwing them up on the wall.)

Here's a short video clip of the venue from the first FLEM we had back in January. This video was taken before we got the projection screen set up. Because the wood paneling only goes up half way on the wall, it makes graphics shows look dull on the lower half, and really bright on the upper half. We had to shrink the scan angle so that it would all fit on the upper part, which made the show really small.

A screen is the way to go with graphics... Looks a lot better!

Adam

Well I was asking if you want some I believe I can get some from the University where I work. Whether or not I can fit it in my car is another thing though.

I also have a large fogger, 700W and 3300cu/ft if it's needed.

Cool

I see. I didn't understand your question. I thought you meant to type "why" do we need one... my bad.

I appreciate the offer of the reflective display screen, but Paul already has one that he's planning to bring. Thanks though!

As far as fog, I've got a big Antari unit with a 1200 watt heater and a remote. It will keep the place plenty fogged up. (We actually had two of them last time, but we soon discovered that just one was more than enough; we had to dial it way back!) So there's no need to bring your unit unless you really want to. (Less stuff to pack!)

I'm sure everyone will be interested to see your 457 nm DPSS laser. And if you've got other lasers you'd like to bring, by all means do so. Might want to bring a laptop (or a desktop computer) to swap pics and video too. (Do you have a projector? Color or monochrome, it doesn't matter... Projectors are always cool - even old-school analog units!)

Adam

Question

So what projectors are coming?

Mine is doing OK, for beam shows at least. If my 30ks get back things will be better. I swapped out my lasever green for my old aixiz 30mW. If I am lucky my die4driver will make it here in time and I can get the green analog modulated, or I can bring the driver and get some assistance making it analog.

So... mine, buffo's, DZ's, ...