Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FLEM 1.5 on October 20th, 2007!

Cool FLEM 1.5 on October 20th, 2007!

Hey folks!

Just got confirmation from Clandestiny that we can use the meeting hall in downtown Orlando again. (This is the same place we used for FLEM back in January; 2200 edgewater drive.) We're scheduled for Saturday, October 20th. We've got the place for the whole day.

Paul and I will be there at 11 AM, and we'll stay until people get tired and decide to leave, or until midnight (ish) when Paul and I get tired and decide to leave. (I'll be staying at my Mom's place, so after it's all done I'll have about an hour drive before I can crash.)

This is going to be a bit smaller than the original FLEM was, and will be nothing as large as SELEM. Basically it's going to be more of a social event and "geek fest" than anything else, though I'm guessing that we'll have at least 3 or 4 RGB projectors there. Hayden Hale from Pangolin will be there, and has agreed to put on a Showtime Live tutorial for us. Another topic that will be open for general discussion is CDRH variance applications. (Hoping to have time to play with the new software they are using to process applications now...)

I'll have my RGB projector, my antari fogger, plus a computer or two. I'll bring the ethernet switch again so we can swap files. (I'll have all the pics and video I've collected from everyone at SELEM, and hopefully I'll also have the video from the UKLEM meet to share!) Might even bring the HGM 5 argon down, if I get the PSU modifications completed in time. I've also got a batch of home-brew that's ready to bottle tonight, so I'll be sure to bring some of that!

If we ask really nice, I'm pretty sure Clandestiny will bring that large display screen again (the same one we used last time) so we can watch GFX shows on it. Likewise, I'm hoping that DZ will be able to come, and will also be able to bring his speakers and one of the amps that he bought from Clandestiny. (Please, oh please?)

So, who else is up for attending? Allthatwhichis? Astroguy? Marconi? Anyone else feel like driving to Orlando on October 20th for the day? If so, reply here! (Although we're calling it the "Florida Laser Enthusiast's Meeting", you don't have to be from Florida to attend! Everyone is welcome to come - guests included - and there is *no charge* to attend.)

If you need detailed directions to the venue, send me a PM...

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 10-11-2007 at 04:08.

I`ll try my best to be there.

Fred
    "Gravity its not just a good idea its the law"

I'll do my best as well...

Anyhow Im alive.
    Just wont be doing much for a while.

Well..they pulled out a bunch of crap from my herniated L5 , the doc said he hadnt seen one as big as mine in over 10,000 operations, thats why he got me in so fast. That worries me some.
    Anyhow, the operation seems successful, I can feel my legs now without any discomfort. Altho my back hurts like hell now, I can walk and stand straight but bending and sitting and gettting up is a problem,so is sleeping.
    I dont know if they wrapped the nerve yet and probably wont know until after its all done, maybe in a year I'll know. Its that studygroup thing.
    The kids are taking care of me, I have a bell I can ring when I need help. Seems my son Charlie's girlfriend can cook. Thats good.

Anyhow, I went into surgery at 11am thursday but they were concerned about my high blood pressure.(something else I'll have to deal with after this), It seems they dont like to put anyone under with HBP. So they had to drug me some more to control it.I got out of surgery at about 2pm and was aware at about 3pm. They had me on Dilaudid which I could administor myself (push a button) every 8min. but I didnt like it so was only doing it once every hour, the nurses checked on me every hour and scoulded me on not using it enough,,so During the night (2am or so) I finaly caved in and did it like they wanted me to but it made me so sick, but the pain was barible. Im not sure how many CC's it was that I used.but I do remember looking at it a few times to see if the plunger had moved so Im guessing about 40 units worth out of 20cc I dont know but the syringe was about 1" in diameter. Man that stuff was nasty.I couldnt move until friday morning. when I did get up everything I ate the nite before evacuated.I was dizzy for about 12hrs afterwards.
    I called Maxy at 9:30am to come and get me as they were discharging me in about an hour..she couldnt find the hospitol..and didnt call, so after I was outside waiting I called and found she was lost..after two more direction calls she finally made it, but at the wrong entrance ..so another half hour wasted there..I was about to pull my hair out then she finally got directions to the correct place..meanwhile, I got to meet a few people going in and out of the hospitol including the GM. ah fun times.
    I found out later she drove way out of the way down from her house (about 120 miles out of the way)., argh.
    The drive home was interesting as well., no a/c in her car and it was very Hot out plus I was still drugged., and the car would stall..she didnt bother to tell me how bad the car was running. She didnt like driving my car, cause the pedal is too responsive.
    I am finally home and have connected the laptop at the side of the couch where I can rest..the waterbed is out of the question as far as comfort is concerned. motion sickness too.
    The followup nurse just left the house a while ago to check me out seems im ok for now..

I made it thru ok,,just gotta wait and see how it goes from here.
    It hurts like Hell. Glad to see your up and about Fred.

Regards
    Chuck
    Last edited by marconi; 09-08-2007 at 21:40.
    "My signature has been taken, so Insert another here"
    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

Cool

Good Grief, Chuck!

I knew the operation was going to be major, but it sounds like your post-op experiences were even worse! At least your legs aren't hurting, though that's a hollow victory at best if your back is still hurting. (Hopefully that will heal though!)

Take it nice and easy, pal. Check in here when you can, (so long as you're not barfing from the pain-med-induced nausea, that is!) and if you're feeling up to it, we'd love to have you at FLEM 1.5 in October!

Adam

Thumbs up

Damn chuck, I guess I got he appriviated version in my reply PM. Got to get Maxy a GPS huh? If need be, I'd be down to come pick you up for the event. I should be able to go, but will need to swap a day or so with someone at work. I have Sundays and Mondays off right now, but my department may be doing a massive schedule everhaul...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Thanks Guys...
    I'm pretty sure I'm going, even if they have to wheel me there..no really
    I'll make it and at least I dont think I'll be ready for work by then.

Hah, She does have a GPS, I got one for her about a year ago...and she knows how to use it..still. she was pretty tired, she's got herself spread pretty thin these days..she's out to save the world I guess with all thats going on in her world..save the abused children and the homeless among other things.
    Getting a slice of her time is asking a lot. still I have to admire her dedication.
    I figure later on this week I'll get her back to making up some modules hopefully.
    we're only behind a half dozen or so.
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by marconi View Post
    I figure later on this week I'll get her back to making up some modules hopefully.
    we're only behind a half dozen or so.
    Ahhh, they will be "true" Maxyzmodules huh?

Yep, She makes all the driver boards and seals and labels them up.
    As well as final testing and all the shipping.

I gotta leave her something to do..
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

Chuck.....glad to see you getting back on here ! Hope your recovery is fast. I guess I will save the transmitter until '08 SELEM. Otherwise I can ship it to you freight. It is a little on the large side being 2KW output power.......It will be safely stored. The B+ powerbank is massive...built in 3 tiers. You will enjoy it.
    You are the only one that can make your dreams come true....and the only one that can stop them...A.M. Dietrich

Cool

Mike,

How heavy is it? If we're talking ham-radio gear, I can take it to Florida when I go to FLEM 1.5 in October. Any way you can get it to me in Charleston? (Road trip?)

Adam