Thread: Building your own DAC controller

Default Building your own DAC controller

OK, despite my best efforts to avoid it, it looks like I'm going to have to stand up and catch this bullet.

For my laser harp project (read: obsession) I'm going to have build my own controller. Basically a PIC connected to a DAC. I have a programmer at home and a tub o' PICs but very little experience in programming them (However I have been a C/++/# programmer for a very *very* long time).

So I need a PIC, and a host board (some kind of power conditioning, or can I just plug in a wall wart at 5V?)

I do have a MIDIBOX (www.midibox.org) host board and PIC, which I guess I could subvert...

MixedGas suggested that I connect a TLV5618A serial DAC to the chip. So I guess I would need a PIC that could send serial data, then every clock cycle just update the DAC with a new number, and set the blanking on another pin? This makes sense, but it's when people start adding resistors and capacitors that I get confused....

One guy kept talking about hysterisis damping, so I looked at him like this

So I could have a simple lookup table x for y cycles, x1 for y cycles, x2 for y cycles etc... for both the blanking and the D->A. Oh yes and some kind of on/off pin polling...

How does that sound?

Steve

P.S. How do I calculate the analog frequencies required to render a certain frame at a certain PPS? What would be a typical safe frequency for a galvo full cycle?
    Last edited by shobley; 09-12-2007 at 05:32.

Wall warts are unregulated. If they say "5 Volts" they'll be putting out around 8-9V no load condition (depending on current rating) but that'll definitely blow stuff up that's rated for 5 V input.

Default voltage regulator

you can use a 7805 voltage regulator for +5v and a 7905 voltage regulator for -5v
    basically the prefix 78xx is for positive voltage and the prefix 79xx is for negative voltage (IE a 7915 would be a -15v regulator)

John
    VJ AIWAZ

If you have a understanding of micros, and also are experienced in C programing, have a look at the atmel AVR and the codevisionAVR compiler.

AVR's run rings around the pic.

Instead of a dac, you could even use a simple analogue multiplexer, that just picks off various set voltages on each input. Something like a 4067?

Quote Originally Posted by shobley View Post
    OK, despite my best efforts to avoid it, it looks like I'm going to have to stand up and catch this bullet.

For my laser harp project (read: obsession) I'm going to have build my own controller. Basically a PIC connected to a DAC. I have a programmer at home and a tub o' PICs but very little experience in programming them (However I have been a C/++/# programmer for a very *very* long time).

So I need a PIC, and a host board (some kind of power conditioning, or can I just plug in a wall wart at 5V?)

I do have a MIDIBOX (www.midibox.org) host board and PIC, which I guess I could subvert...

MixedGas suggested that I connect a TLV5618A serial DAC to the chip. So I guess I would need a PIC that could send serial data, then every clock cycle just update the DAC with a new number, and set the blanking on another pin? This makes sense, but it's when people start adding resistors and capacitors that I get confused....

One guy kept talking about hysterisis damping, so I looked at him like this

So I could have a simple lookup table x for y cycles, x1 for y cycles, x2 for y cycles etc... for both the blanking and the D->A. Oh yes and some kind of on/off pin polling...

How does that sound?

Steve

P.S. How do I calculate the analog frequencies required to render a certain frame at a certain PPS? What would be a typical safe frequency for a galvo full cycle?
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/