Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LD2000 vs. FB3 Package comparisons?

Default LD2000 vs. FB3 Package comparisons?

Would anyone that uses BOTH the Pangolin LD2000 / QM board AND the LASTudio / FB3 packages be willing to compare the major differences between the two? I would be interested in finding out the additional hardware features (external device triggers, etc.) you get in the LD2000 / QM package.

Never too early to start planning the upgrade when I can afford it - even though I haven't started construction on the first projector yet
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

I can't do a side-by-side comparison of the controllers, but I can tell you about a few of the extra things you'll get with a QM-2000 that you won't have with the FB3.

First is the huge library of shows and ILDA frames that you get with the QM-2000. The library just can't compare to anything else... You get something like 70 complete shows, plus an amazing library of files that you can use to make your own shows with. The same day you get your QM-2000 you can be displaying world-class, award-winning shows, and the next day you can be building your own shows using nothing more than the pre-made ilda files provided to you.

Second is the Win-amp AVS laser plug in. This allows you to play any sound file in Win-amp and use AVS presents to control the laser projector in real-time to the beat of whatever music you're playing: .mod file, CD, MP3, .wav, it doesn't matter! This is like having a custom, changeable, automatic beam show synced to your music at the touch of a button. (Seriously, it's that cool!) Oh, and you can edit the presets any way you want...

Finally is the laser game Asteroids. How about playing asteriods (in full color, mind you) on the side of your house! You can't really understand how cool this is until you see it live.

That's just scratching the surface, really, but it gives you some idea of the magnitude of the upgrade between an FB3 and a QM-2000. In fact, when you get back state-side, we'll have to get together and I'll set up Asteroids for you. If that isn't enough to convince you on the spot as to just how cool the QM-2000 is, I'll buy you dinner!

Adam

Damn it Adam,

I just bought two more QM2000 cards If I had realised there was dinner riding on it I would have hung out a bit and pretended.
    I guess one problem is its a long way from New Zealand to Florida for a dinner. Besides if I make it I think I owe you dinner for all the help you have given me over the past six months.:

Seriously I am hoping to visit Bill at Pangolin soon, may have to wait for the new year the way this one is dissapearing..

I'm certainly sold on the QM2000 but then I dont know anything else.

Maybe I can catch up with a few of the U.S. guys here on PL.

Cheers

Ray
    NZ

You had me sold with Asteroids

Do the QM boards have TTL trigger outputs built into the board, or do they require one of the DMX add-on boards to control electro-mechanical devices (relays, beam actuators, etc.)?
    Last edited by Stuka; 09-12-2007 at 02:10.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Ray...

if you're thinking about making the trip to the states, you may want to plan it around FLEM Mark II, which is tentatively scheduled for late February. No firm date yet, but we'll nail that down by the end of October. It will be held in Downtown Orlando, just a few miles from the Pangolin office.

As far as dinner goes, you don't owe me anything. Hell, if you're willing to buy the plane ticket to get here, I figure I can spring for dinner! But seriously, if you really are planning a trip, let's stay in touch re: the date. Maybe we can work it out so you can attend FLEM Mark II.

I'm actually in Charleston, SC - but since I've got family near Orlando it's no big deal for me to make the trip. (Orlando is about 6.5 hours by car from Charleston.) I go to Florida several times a year...

Stuka: Same goes for you, pal... When you get back state-side, look me up and we'll make some plans to get you to one of these Laser Enthusiast Meetings. Hell, we might just try to throw something together in Newton for a relatively small group upon your return, just to get together and geek out. No plans yet, but anything is possible... Stay in touch.

Re: the TTL triggers. The QM-2000 supports DMX-512 in and out. But you'll need a decoder to extract signals from that, and then a relay to drive whatever load you want... (I know you can find combo-boards that have the decoder and a bank of relays together for a couple hundred bucks or so, but honestly I've never really dug into that aspect of laser shows. Perhaps someone else can recommend specific products.)

Adam

Count me in - I have GOT to see a mega-sized laser version of Asteroids in action!!

And, I'll probably still have a few questions about my first project...

Randy
    RR

Sweet.....

willing to buy the plane ticket to get here
    Ray, you own a plane, right?
    Would you have to re-fuel between NZ and the States, or could you make it on one 'tank-full'? (or wing-full I guess that'd be..)

Randy- you gotta be 'short-timer' by now , right?

Hi Guys,

Yep the plan to visit Bill at Pangolin is serious. Good idea to try and tie up for FLEM Mk11..
    Things are bit hectic prior to Xmas but lets stay in touch, it would be real neat to meet some of the guys that have been so welcoming and helpful.

Steve O ... Yeah the plane is a Pitts Special S1. Great little machine if you want to be upside down or at least dream about flying an F18 or something on a Sunday afternoon.(its the closest I'll ever get)
    BUT the one thing she ain't good for is going anywhere. After about an hour and half she starts to think about running dry. Twenty minutes later the "pucker factor" kicks in (mine not her's) shortly followed by "Holy crap this thing is quiet" ( me again).
    It has all the flyability of a sewer lid once the engine quits.
    I guess that would leave me about 5,845.67 miles short of you guys.

Looks like an Air NZ flight damn it.. but at least you can get coffee and go to the crapper.

Cheers

Ray
    NZ

Quote Originally Posted by Buffo View Post
    (I know you can find combo-boards that have the decoder and a bank of relays together for a couple hundred bucks or so, but honestly I've never really dug into that aspect of laser shows. Perhaps someone else can recommend specific products.)

Adam
    We have a few cheap dmx-ttl decoder boards, with a 8 channel analogue board due pretty soon as well
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

What is the cost on the QM2000 package?