Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Nanodrive v6 current sense resistor location

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2026
    Posts
    1

    Default Nanodrive v6 current sense resistor location

    Hello, I damaged a component on my first laser build through ESD. I purchased from DTR a BDR-209 with attached Nanodrive v6 driver. I believe my cheap soldering iron has leaked into the driver and COD'd the diode. So my job is to use a multimeter to measure millivolts on the current sense resistor to determine if i broke the driver as well. I can't find the location of this resistor from all my searching and am hoping that someone who is familiar with this driver could please help me out, please.
    I am happy to provide more information upon request. My pictures are on my phone, which i will have to upload from there if necessary. I heard the current sense resistor is a low value resistor near the IC. i only see one labeled component near the IC by the output which is a "0" resistor.

    Thank you all in advance for your time and assistance.

    (nanodrive is made by Lazeerer)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    2,147,489,631

    Default

    I'm not familiar with the nanodrive laser diode driver, but as a general rule, the current sensing resistor on a laser diode driver will have a very low resistance - usually around 0.1 ohms - but it should *never* be zero. It should also be a precision resistor with a high power rating. (I-squared R is no joke! Even at 0.1 ohms, a 5-amp driver for something like the NUBM44 will create a 2.5 watt heat load across the current sensing resistor at full current.)

    In fairness though, your BDR-209 Blu-ray diode should max out at around 0.8 or 0.9 amps, so the driver doesn't need to be as beefy and can probably get away with a slightly higher resistance value on the current sensing resistor. (One of the early laser pointer drivers that DTR used to sell for single-mode diodes used a 3.3 ohm resistor for current sensing, for example.)

    Regardless - if the current-sensing resistor on your nanodrive laser diode driver is actually shorted (reading zero ohms across it with a decent meter), then this is probably why the laser diode failed. If you short across the current-sensing resistor, the driver will interpret that as zero current, meaning it will try to deliver as much current as it possibly can. This will destroy the laser diode instantly.

    Adam

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •