Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Lexel SHG power source woes

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2026
    Posts
    2

    Default Lexel SHG power source woes

    Hello all!

    I followed a link from laser pointer forums to this site and signed up to ask the collective some questions. I recently acquired a Raman microscope (Renishaw inVia) from auction and sadly it only has one of the original three lasers, and that one laser is missing its power supply. It’s a lovely Lexel 85 SHG model (244nm, 2 gratings; 1200 l/mm (visible and NIR) and 3600 l/mm (UV).)

    My questions are :

    What the heck happened to Cambridge Laser Labs?? They purchased Lexel ~2002 and worked with Renishaw to build my Raman setup ~2005, and now they seem to have closed down.

    Is there a way to evaluate the laser head to ensure it’s functional before hunting down a power source? I’m with a very tiny materials company and the R&D department is roughly three people (myself included), so funds aren’t endless. I’m hoping we didn’t sink money into a Raman microscope setup without any lasers to actually use it!

    Is there any thorough documentation on this run of lasers out there? I have a short brochure type PDF, but it doesn’t touch on the power source and all in any detail. With the company no longer existing this is likely going to be a hands-on kind of maintenance situation and documentation would be an enormous help for this chem physicist! (Alas my strength is in theory)

    Everyone here seems to be both knowledgeable and passionate about lasers of all kinds, I’m happy my internet rabbit hole led me here!

  2. #2
    mixedgas's Avatar
    mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.
    Posts
    10,108

    Default

    SHG was a bit of a noble animal, with upgrades. The tube has a different, more precise window structure, but the tube bore is a 95-6 or 1800 or 8500 series bore (Slight variations in OEM tube numbers , plasma length, and minor internal details) with a 3.2V cathode. and will gladly run off a classic 95 or 295 Supply, however the SHG tuning / heating / light feedback/ electronics and head cabling is very different from the old analog supply.. More likely it uses the new generation PSU with a FET passbank. I've only seen the head, not the PSU internals.

    I happen to have Brian's phone number, I will see what I can do this evening.

    Brian retired and liquidated the company.

    He is, however a helpful soul, and I'll see what he says.

    Worse case you end up with a Frankenstein, ie old analog, PSU and then power and cabling for the SHG support as a home made piece.

    I also know the fellow who got one of the master drawings sets at auction.. I'll see what he has. May take till Friday to reach both gentlemen for me.

    Where are you located?

    Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 08-11-2026 at 06:29.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

  3. #3
    mixedgas's Avatar
    mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.
    Posts
    10,108

    Default

    Talked with Brian, he has crystals, optics, a head and a psu left.

    PM me

    Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Blacksburg VA
    Posts
    144

    Default I have one of those.

    Quote Originally Posted by MatSciGoblin View Post
    It’s a lovely Lexel 85 SHG model (244nm, 2 gratings; 1200 l/mm (visible and NIR) and 3600 l/mm (UV).)


    Is there a way to evaluate the laser head to ensure it’s functional before hunting down a power source? I’m with a very tiny materials company and the R&D department is roughly three people (myself included), so funds aren’t endless. I’m hoping we didn’t sink money into a Raman microscope setup without any lasers to actually use it!

    Is there any thorough documentation on this run of lasers out there? I have a short brochure type PDF, but it doesn’t touch on the power source and all in any detail. With the company no longer existing this is likely going to be a hands-on kind of maintenance situation and documentation would be an enormous help for this chem physicist! (Alas my strength is in theory)
    I have two lasers from the same setup:
    LEXEL 95 Multiline
    LEXEL 85 Deep UV Ion Lexel Model 85-SHG-244
    I have both manuals, including schematics.
    The microscope, which I did not get, is Jobin Yvon Inc. HR800UV.
    I'm located near Virginia Tech. If you are within driving distance we may be able to work out borrowing my power supply for evaluating the head.
    Otherwise, I can get the manual scanned and send you a PDF.
    - Dan Barlow
    Science! Constantly shifting collection of auction purchases, group buys, dumpster dove, and handmade lasers of all types.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2026
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone! This is above and beyond the response I was hoping for, I’m thrilled!

    Mixedgas - I’m looking forward to talking with Brian and working on making sure my laser is functional. The auction lot sadly only included the Lexel laser amongst the three it used to have when first built, but this is a blessing in disguise since it led me here.

    DanBarlow - Fantastic news! I was only able to get the ~6 page basic info on the lasers, which don’t have much info at all, so manuals and schematics will be a huge boon. Sadly both I and the laser are located in northern AZ, so Virginia Tech might a bit too far of a drive. Microscope-wise thankfully Renishaw has a lot of info on their older units and has been working with me on getting the unit functional (and I’m spoiled with a leica microscope).

    Getting this Raman microscope set up will be a massive improvement to R&D’s abilities, and for a small company like mine this means a lot. Personally for me, I’m ecstatic since Raman spectroscopy is my favorite and most well developed area. I’m keen to learn more about the laser side of things and improve my understanding from that side of the equation beyond my rough nonlinear optics coursework from years back.

  6. #6
    mixedgas's Avatar
    mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.
    Posts
    10,108

    Default

    Check your PMs, and go slowly, these things are delicate and fragile, and require some specialized optics cleaning skills.

    Steve

    - - - Updated - - -

    Check your PMs, and go slowly, these things are delicate and fragile, and require some specialized optics cleaning skills.

    Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •