Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Got Red?

"Gravity its not just a good idea its the law"

658-660 - still redred. Need 641
    Damn steve-o, facists huh? have to start bringing your own laptop to work for the forum...
    Yeah, my boss is turning into a real asshole. He didnt take the motor-guys web away just us electronics guys. He likes the motor guys better

Question

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    658-660 - still redred. Need 641
    I think we may have slipped a lil off topic... O well.

I got a reply from dichroic.com... I'll actually show all the coorespondences... except the my first inquiry that was web based not email...

Reply to inquiry:

"Aaron, good morning and thanks for your inquiry,we can provide a high pass red/yellow in the wavelengths that you want. We cannot provide narrow band pass filters due to distribution in the large chambers"

Here is what I sent in reply to the reply to my inquiry for a dichro that will combine a 635nm and a 650 to 660nm...

"A few members on the forum are interested in group buy and are gettings quotes from several companies. What would the cost be for say a run of 10 to 20, 25mm and 12mm, for $ comparison?"

And the final reply...

"For small quantities they will run 10.00 each in the size you have listed below. To give you an idea of our capabilities we coat six 30”diameter sheets of glass per chamber run. We have 1.1mm,1.75mm & 3.3mm thicknesses available. I do have colors on the shelf which may meet your specification but if you need a true custom design you would be looking at $3180.86. I have a customer currently purchasing our Hot Mirrors and the size is .94”dia and we get a little over 700 per sheet of glass. Sizing will be extra if you would like us to do that and the price is 65.00 per hour. I hope this helps a little."

Does that make sense to anyone? To me it shows $10.00/dichro. Is that what y'all get?

Sounds like colored glass vs pass/reflect dichro to me.. but yeah, $10 vs $3180?? WTF..? The term "doubletalk" comes to mind..

Had a reply from Bridge. Have sent him another message about prices.

Hi, Andy
    sure, we had the ability to do this work.
    We had did the dichroic coating experiment before, and result is very well.
    But I must see first ,the dichroic is so expensive,Because it is so difficult to do this, and the coating is need more than 100 layers, .
    Best regards!
    Bridge

100 layers ??!! well shit/ I bet melles can do it with 20
    I have no choice but tp PWI since they took my i'net away at work

Cool

Ok - Steve Robers suggested I contact a friend of his, which I did, and I'm currently in discussions with the guy (Bob) on a possible *cheap* source of dichros.

The problem is that polarization may be an issue. This may mean that we might have to use two dichros and one PBS cube, rather than two PBS cubes and one dichro, inorder to mix two 635 nm beams and two 660 nm beams. (IE: mix the horizontally polarized 635 and 660, then mix the vertically polarized 635 and 660, and then send the combined beams into a single PBS cube...)

He's going to do some more checking and get back to me. However, if he can make it work, it will be less than half the cost of the dichro from Semrock.

Adam

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    Sounds like colored glass vs pass/reflect dichro to me.. but yeah, $10 vs $3180?? WTF..? The term "doubletalk" comes to mind..
    I think the $3k figure is for a whole "sheet" of a customer filter which comes out to around $4 to $5 a filter I think, if you get the whole sheet and if you get 700 out of a sheet. Does that sound right? I guess $10 a piece isn't bad if they are on the shelf and we don't want to go into buisness selling these filters...

OK, I'm really pushing for samples of the Mitsubishi 640 150mw, and I may get a couple. Anybody else interested?
    Also: does anyone know how to collimate a 7/40 degree divergence LD? I saw a pic somewhere of a TO-3 type diode with 2 triangular looking optics in front of it circularizing the beam perfectly.

Anamorphic prisms, to compress the fast axis to a similar width to the slow one.

http://members.misty.com/don/ldbmcor2.gif

That pair of prisms in reverse reduces width at expense of more divergence, same as in a beam expander in reverse.

It won't work well on a strongly diverging beam so far as I know, I've not seen them used that way (probably would need rediculously large prisms), but you can use cylindrical lenses like this:

http://www.newport.com/images/webcli...es/1267183.gif

Probably just need the one, if it gets the fast axis diverging same as slow. The other lens would act equally on both axes. Not sure which is best done first, but either way, that's best done very close. Some diode packages come with microlenses built in. I suspect the diodes Marconi uses might have that, or collimation might otherwise be difficult even with a stripe width of only 50 µm.