Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Venting

Default Venting

Ok, anyone know what happened to Radio Shack? It is now completely worthless in my book. A couple years ago, I went in and found whats called a nibbling tool. A fantastic tool that can be used for nibbling out square holes in thier project boxes and even works great at nibbling holes in sheet metal and nibbling holes in 1/16" aluminum. Well I wore mine out to the point that it just basically fell apart, which is fine since I completely got my money's worth out of it. So I stopped by my local Radio Shack to pickup another, and as usual, I get the blank, deer in the headlights look from the only guy running the store. After looking on the computer for a while, it turns out it was discontinued. I told the guy it was the best tool Radio Shack ever sold. His response, "Sorry to hear that, can I interest you in a new cell phone?" Cell phone??? I'd rather buy several packs of resistors and solder them all together to look like a cell phone. Sad thing is, I'd end up spending more for the resistors than I would for the real cell phone......

I agree. Radio Shack used to be a lot of fun back when they had TRS-80s and kits and stuff you could build. They had all kinds of components and gadgets. Now, they sell Dish Network and phone service.

Anyway, try Harbor Freight, if you have one near you.

HI,

Cant help with Radio Shack... smae thing over here with our Dick Smith Electronics, not really a hobby shop anymore.

Re the nibbling tool..

When I was building my plane I got a lot of tools from a company called "Avery tools" over there in the USA. They used to have the nibblers.

A quick look on Google will find them.

You could also try "Aircraft Spruce and Specialty" in LA they are bound to have them.. ( I also got the one you can fit to a drill its real good for long cuts in ali, doesn't distort the edge like cutters... "a poor mans guillotine")

Cheers

Ray
    NZ

Unhappy Radioshack

Yeah I was also wondering what happened to all the good stuff they used to sell at Radioshack. Yesterday I was looking through last years radioshack catalog at all kinds of parts, books and good stuff. I went to check prices online and all that stuff is gone. Radioshack no longer has that paperback catalog either. Too bad

I have one of the nibblers from Radioshack and I agree its been great. I used to drill holes then try and file them flat for panel meters, etc...

I'm lucky to have a Fry's Electronics near me. Pretty decent selection although I have to deal with about 100 nerds every time I go.

Hey us nerds have feelings
    DZ -yeah I still got one of the original RS nibbling tools-- dont know what i'd do w/out it--althougth its about to bust a spring or 2
    Yeah Radshack--gone downhill -- anybody remember Lafayette electronics?
    yeah I'm showing my age

Lafayette electronics? Man that sounds old. I am 41 and I think I remember seeing some stuff laying around of my dads that had that name back when I was a kid.

Cool

Radio Shack is worthless... They've totally divorced themselves from the hobbyists and the tinkerers that the place originally catered to. Back in the day, people would stop in there for a couple resistors and end up leaving with a bag of parts for some project or another. I've *still* got bags of parts that I bought at Radio Shack years ago; they're stuck in drawers with circuit diagrams - just waiting for the right rainy afternoon to motivate me to assemble the stuff.

Nowadays if you need discrete components you almost need to buy them on-line. There are very few places left that still sell electronics parts. Sigh...

DZ, you hit it on the head. They want to be the go-to store for cell phones. Oh, and while they're at it they'll try to sell you some shitty electronics for inflated prices. (They love to sell you wall-wart power adapters too!) The home audio stuff they have now is utter crap. I remember when an amp purchased at Radio Shack used to be a good deal. Now it's a high-priced piece of junk.

I don't know if this new direction is profitable for them or not. Maybe it will save the company. But I won't be shopping there anymore.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by hologeek View Post
    I have one of the nibblers from Radioshack and I agree its been great. I used to drill holes then try and file them flat for panel meters, etc...
    I got entirely too good at that... I need a better way. Pitts, can you tell me anything more about that tool that fits in a drill?

Re electronics shops going to consumer-driven seed, Maplin are doing it too, but slowly, the decline is horrible to watch, but they're so big it's very slow, with occasional sparks of brilliance still visible. I got lucky with 40 metal shells for DB25 connectors. Very good quality for about a tenth what they used to sell for, they seem to be discontinuing stuff all the time, but this time I caught some so I won't be affected by their stoppage for some time.

I think a lot of good tool supplies are now on eBay. They're regular shops, they just use eBay because its coverage is greater, and they don't have to have so much floor space.

Doc

I agree on the Maplin front - I have been buying off them since I was 12 - And im not gonna say what year that was - though I do remember lots of street parties for the queen the previous summer...
    anyway I have bought less and less off them over the years while their catalogue has become less and less use and fuller of disco lights, bass bins for cars, and toys. Remember when you used to buy the maplin catalogue as a reference/data book. I have a stash of old ever more dog eared copies that I still refer to. I think they have a cheek to advertise as 'The electronics superstore'

As for Radio Shack - or Tandy as we knew it no self respecting town centre was without one in the late seventies and they were full of real goodies. I remember as a school boy being on first name terms with the helpful friendly and knowledgable staff in the Belle Vale Shopping centre branch in Liverpool. Even visiting the Old Swan branch was good if it felt a little alien - not being at the one I knew so well. I used to spend hours looking up to the top row of the light blue packed semiconductor section wondering what all those 8, 14 & 16 pin spiders were for and drooling at the then unattainable mixed LED pack. I think it contained 50 random (mostly red and mostly 5mm) LEDs for an aweinspiring, mind blowing and pocket money shattering £1.49!!!

Halcion days

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk