Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Software to use for ILDA for Newbie!

Does norms do RGY?

I got my dac today so about to have a play tonight!

Instinct - im in Australia!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    There is a popelscan DAC from Norm on eBay. I don't have the link available but look in the industrial lasers category.

If you have <$500 and want to get a DAC and software, I'd say save a little more to get the LA Freak package. If you want to get that, just PM Pangolin on here, or use this contact form from the Pangolin site. If not, check out this thread. It has a run down of what I have found for what prices.
    I found this DAC on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Parallel-Port-2-...QQcmdZViewItem

but that means I have to assemble it myself..??

Who is Norm, and how can I contact him?
    - instinct

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by instinct View Post
    That's it. I think the seller is Norm. He is just a local laser "God" that I have no idea how to contact. He popped in here once but doesn't play much on forums. alt.lasers might be a good place to start, after, "Ask Seller a Question" in eBay. Someone else here is bound to be more familiar with contacting him.

As for putting it together. It took me 45 minutes to solder two wires the other day. All I can say is good luck. There may be someone here who has one to get rid of or who will assemble it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by nicko View Post
    Hi guys
    thanks for your quick reply
    SO i need a DAC as well do i?
    Any links to these DAC's?
    Michal - how much is that software?

Moncha works quite nice. I'm using it almost every saterday in a pub!
    The software is stable, plug and play, and Michals technical 'helpdesk' by e-mail is very good.

If you need more information about DAC's and free laser software, please visit www.hobby-lasers@startpagina.nl.

i've read here that you can buy norms dac assembled.

edit-

maybe it was the die 4 driver i was thinking of and not norms dac.
    anyone know if norm sells assembled dacs.
    peace,
    wes

Quote Originally Posted by nicko View Post
    Does norms do RGY?

I got my dac today so about to have a play tonight!

Instinct - im in Australia!
    Yes, his does RGY, I think you can pay him an extra $20 to assemble each kit

Default norms dac

i have norms dac it does not do rgy its there on the board but its not supported in his software yet he did say a while ago he would get it done soon

I would not recommend Norm's DAC because it really doesn't have any decent software support. If you just want to experiment and don't mind writing your own software then it's probably OK but if you want to dive right into shows then I don't think you would be satisfied. Even if you do want to go that route you'd probably be better off building a Popelscan DAC. It works with Popelscan and Norm's as well and offers 3 colors and ttl outputs.

Default Unrelated

haha sorry for the unrelated post.. I was trying to figure out where your avatar with from nicko.. I finally figured it out.. I think.. Is it the Racoon from "It's All gone Pete Tong"

I think I might go with the Pangolin Product...
    - instinct

Having started with a parallel port DAC (Alphalite) I can tell you that you want to avoid one at all costs. The problem is that the PC's architecture doesn't allow for the parallel port to continue doing things (like outputting frame data) while certain other system events are taking place. (Events like hard disk access, or even MOUSE CLICKS!) This really limits the usability of a parallel DAC.

Yeah, if you're on a budget, you're on a budget. I understand that. I'm still on a budget myself. But trust me, you'll be a lot happier with a USB controller.

Adam