Thread: RGB laser power mix - will this work...?

Default RGB laser power mix - will this work...?

Well, before I click the "buy" button on my favorite Australian laser dealer's web page, I'm looking for input from some more of you experienced laserists before I take the final $$$ plunge....

I'll be using Pangolin FB3 as the DAC, and probably running LivePro (awesome MIDI support!!) as my primary software package. I already have a set of the Maxy dual-module reds on order.

I've pretty well decided on CNI LP-series 532nm Green and 432 nm Blue to finish out the RGB requirements. The question remaining is what power to purchase. Since I would like to have the extra boost available for beam effects, I'm leaning towards the 150 mw Blue, and 500 mw Green (which would take care of the hobby budget for the foreseeable future )

Lacking any hands-on experience with these lasers, I was wondering - will the hardware / software combination I'm considering allow me to "dial back" the green and still have enough analog control left for decent color mixing for graphics, yet still be able to go full power when needed for beam effects? Along the same lines, would it be worth routing the analog control voltage through some potentiometers to manually "trim" the laser output for color mixing?

Thanks, as always!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Anyone?

Bueler, Bueler, ...anyone?
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Using a pot is probably a better option, as you wont loose dac resolution
    KVANT Australian projector sales
    https://www.facebook.com/kvantaus/

Lasershowparts- Laser Parts at great prices
    https://www.facebook.com/lasershowparts/

Cool

I agree - an external biasing circuit will give you greater range, but you can still use your software to do the color balancing. Like Dave said though, you'll loose resolution because so many bits will be lost on the high end because your green will be 5X brighter than it needs to be.

Eh - it's your call. I'd try it stock and see if you like it first. You can always add the biasing circuit to the green blanking line later...

Adam

Lightbulb

... I got nuthin... It ain't easy tryin to follow Adam around posting...

Although this type of function could be added to the "box" mixedgas(guy) and DZ were talking about at SELEM. The one to help blank everything at a more consistent "timing".
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Cool -

Thanks for the input !
    RR

Sweet.....