Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Meet "Big Red"

BTW I take it from the images that you are stacking 4 outputs next to each other twice and then putting these two, one on top of each other. I am also guessing that these are all set to one polarisation and the next 8 will be a mirror of this, save the diodes at 90 degrees to these. Then PBS and WATTS.

Cool M8

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Default Big Red....I want one :-)

Wow,

Very nice... A lot of very hard work gone into this project... Would look lovely in my RGB which is still currently a pile of bits at the moment

Good work Simon, can't wait to see that blowing up the dancefloor in a club..

Damn, that almost looks like an Arctos project! Nice neat layout. Do you have a good source for those Opnext diodes? How'd you collimate them so well in those small packages. As Adam said "Details" Please!! And P/Ns, sources on the housings/ optics so we can all have some fun
    Awesome Dude!

Ok, to answer some questions/comments;

>Are you taking orders yet?
    I'll not be manufacturing as it's a hell of a lot of work and there's potential copyright issues.

>You do the same with blue?
    Could do, if the diodes weren't so f***ing expensive

>Are you aligning them in a circular arrangement
    Nope, as Rob pointed out they are in 2 rows of 4 similar to this:

>How much overlap (and thus loss) is there?
    Very little due to overlap, not measured but I'd guess less than 5%

>what is the beam diameter coming out of each individual diode?
    2.5mm x 1.8mm

>And do you have correcting optics somewhere in the beam path downstream of the mirrors?
    Yes there are more collimating optics

>Kinda blows "small footprint" out that window though huh?
    He's big, but not too big. For scale, the flexture mounts are only 10mm square, and the whole thing is 100mm wide by (IIRC) 220mm long. You wouldn't want him dropped on your toes though as the baseplate is milled from 19mm ally

>Do you have a good source for those Opnext diodes? How'd you collimate them so well in those small packages. As Adam said "Details" Please!! And P/Ns, sources on the housings/ optics
    Big Red's housing, flexture mounts and diode block were made by me. The suppliers: diodes from Photonic-products, eBay for the cheap 1st surface "trapezoid" mirrors and Philips for the collimators.

As you may have realised, there's more to Big Red than is shown in the pictures. I'm aware there's a few companies doing similar, and as I don't want to tread on anyone's toes (and get my ass chewed as a result) so please understand my reluctance to discuss the finer details in an open forum.
    He's not perfect, there's still a couple of issues that need to be addressed, but I thought you would all be interested to see what's possible.

Cool! Thanx...............................