Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Attempt Skewed!

Hey Gary,
    Here are the results of the new wiring, checked twice & 3 times with the Fluke:
    X+ to +
    X- to G
    X scanner - & G shorted

Y+ to +
    Y- to G
    Y scanner - & G shorted

This produced the "big size" display, still upside down and backwards.
    (see 1st photo)

Next, I tried this suggestion:
    "you can swap the + and - wires on the scanner board. If upside down, swap them on the Y board."

That produced photo 2.

I swapped them back to get back where I was in photo 1.

I can adjust the software to produce the image correctly, but I have not figured out how to SAVE this setting. This could just take a little exploration.

I did however fire up other programs, and they too had the flipped around image. I would really really like to get this thing flipped back without resorting to customizing a bunch of software settings- that will be plan Z.

-Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails flipper.JPG  

pancake.JPG  

What are the outputs from your DAC? X,Y, and GND? If so, and it is inverted, then connect the X and Y to (-) on the scanner amps instead of +. Then short +G instead of -G.

Did you leave -G shorted and just swap the wires going to +G? That would short the dac output and give you the second image.
    Last edited by carmangary; 09-26-2007 at 19:02.

Lightbulb

Well, step in the right direction though huh? My 20k ecoscans had a similar issue with the X direction. There were two jumpers I swapped positions on to fix that problem. Maybe your scanners have a pair of similar jumpers.

Hey Gary,
    The outputs are in the 4th pic of the 1st post. It is a single output of X+ and X-, Y+ and Y- I believe. The thing that gets me is that as it sets this moment:
    X+ to + (X scanner)
    X- to G, - on scanner disconnected
    Y+ to + (Y scanner)
    Y- to G, - on scanner disconnected
    , the output is only out by 108 degrees on the Y axis (top is on bottom). I can adjust (via software) the "X dial" to be spun -180, which makes the image orientation correct. If both X an Y are wired the same, why is just the Y out by 180 degrees? Hm.. That just doesn't make sense to me. And why does the software's x control the y? ugh- I might just call Pangolin tomorrow.
    I didn't see any jumpers anywhere. The last page of the scanner manual mentions a little bit of what we are talking about, but I don't know... I think I am going to try and get a good night's sleep and mess with it tomorrow.
    I'm so fried right now I don't want to get careless.

Thanks again for your help, Mike

one last thing that I find odd- in the abstract and draw programs, checking the "inverse Y" causes the image to become normal, unlike the other programs that were corrected by turning the "X dial".

from the manual-

8: Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
    1Q: If you found the images of projector have some problem, such the images like the bias
    ellipse.
    1A: You must check the ground is well, Check whether the GND of ILDA connected the
    GND of galvos well, or the GND of DMX board connected the GND of galvos well.
    2Q: The DAC only Single Signal output, not symmetrical Signal output. why I connect
    Positive Signal and Ground, the Negative Signal don’t connected, the scan angle is very small?
    How can I increase the scan angle?
    2A: if your DAC not double signal output, when you connect Negative pin and Ground pin,
    the Positive pin don’t connected, the scan angle is normal.
    But you connect Positive pin and Ground pin, the Negative pin don’t connected, the scan
    only half angle of normal. You have two select:
    a : use Negative pin and Ground pin for signal input.
    b : when you connect Positive pin and Ground pin, please let Negative pin connect to Ground
    pin.
    Last edited by mikkojay; 09-26-2007 at 20:59.

After looking at your wiring diagram I can tell you have single ended outputs. Normally you would connect pins 1 & 3 (X & Y) to the + pins on the X &Y DACs and 2 & 4 to the Gs on the DACS. But, if it is upside down and backwards then you would connect 1 & 3 to the - pins on the amps. Pins 2 & 4 would still go to the G pins.

Thumbs up

I have the display flipped back to normal now, although the trick ended up being a little odd.
    Here is the wiring that worked:

fb3 X+)------(x scanner +
    fb3 X-)------(x scanner G
    (x scanner - and G shorted

fb3 Y+)------(y scanner -
    fb3 Y-)------(y scanner G
    (y scanner - and G open

This provided a proportioned image in normal orientation.
    If anyone has a theory as to why such an odd wiring would create a proper image, I'd be very intrigued. Am I the first person on here to run these exact scanners from an FB3?
    Actually, I'm pretty happy with how it looks- thanks Gary!
    And thanks to everyone else who took an interest in this thread.

Time to crack a Guiness and play around with some software-
    -Mike

What scanners are you running? I am using the FB3 with a pair of DT-40pro's

They are the Chinese 30k ones that carmangary sold a while back.
    The manual for them is the pdf attachment in the 1st post on this thread.
    I took a picture of a text graphic that I was trying to convert for someone in this thread The curves and text look pretty good. Some of the canned grahics that came with the fb3 look really good. The 40's are probably up a notch on the totem pole, but they were just a tad bit more than I wanted to spend at this stage.
    Later, Mike

Mike,
    I'm really glad you got it working. The wiring makes sense to me.

The amps use +/-10v from (+) to (-) for full deflection. If there is +10v at (+) in respect to (-) you will get full positive deflection. If -10v is at (+) in respect to (-) you will get full negative deflection. (Ignore the part about it being upside down for now).

Your single ended DAC outputs +/-5v in respect to ground (pins 1&2 or 3&4). So, when your DAC is at +5v you have +5v at (+) on the amp. G and (-) are shorted so this puts your ground on the (-) pin on the amp. So, you now have +5v from (+) to (-) on the amp.

Now, your image was upside down. So, you want full negative deflection at +5v instead of full positive. So, you hook the it backwards and then when the DAC is at +5v, you have +5v at the (-) pin and gnd at the (+) pin. So, you have -5v at the amp. Exactly what you need!

Now, lets talk about having only +/-5v instead of +/-10v. If you measure your max scan angle, it is probably around 20 degrees. Only half of what the scanners are set up for. You can increase your scan angle to 40 degrees by adjusting the Input Scale potentiometer on the scan amp. Although these scanners will do 53 degrees max deflection, I was told by the manufacture that it is wise to limit them to 40 for safety and long life. So, make some measurements on your wall and adjust them for 40 degrees. Just remember that if you hook them to DACs with differential outputs you will be attempting to scan at 80 degrees and possibly hurt your scanners!

Hopefully this makes sense. If not, print it out and post it in your bathroom and study it on breaks. Maybe you will eventually see the light.

Gary