Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mixer

Thanks you-all for the thoughts. I wish there were a way to do this..
    I may still try some experimenting..

The reason you see the individual beams is because there are particles in the air. When there is dense smoke, the particles are everywhere and the beam looks solid. If you used a dichro that passed yellow, you would get nothing through because you still only have 532 and 660.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

Yes, but I want to mix the two.. together ..to make a singular wavelength .. a 50% loss would be acceptible ..
    I dont know how yet, but, as I've read: if you bounce them together around enough a combining will occur. I dont have a PhD in quantum particlewave optical mechanics but my gut says that this can somehow be done..
    maybe through a separate longitudanally pumped resonator cavity..
    Last edited by steve-o; 09-28-2007 at 16:34.

You might not have to mix in a fibre though, one thing single mode fibres can do is get the ends so close together that they look like a single source. That can let you mix beams of arbitrary wavelength and number (up to a point). A cluster of seven fibre ends is one way to get a powerful red laser. Not an easy one though.
    Do you have a diagram or a link Doc?

If you're willing to accept some power losses, run it through a pinhole...
    surplus spatial filters work great... The power loss would be less than
    that of fiber...

Yadda! Your back! Missed Ya' ! Can you elaborate a little?
    Appreciate it!!!

If it's any help i'm experimenting with using single mode fibers for holography. So far i've managed to get 88% efficiency through a 6uM single mode fiber. This is using a 50x microscope objective on a homebrew launcher. The beam emerges from the fiber beautiful and clean, but you would need something to re-collimate the beam as it's very divergent. I suspect that if I had (or could afford) a professional fiber launcher I would be able to acheive >90% efficiency.

I have a couple of lasers for holography, a 632.8Nm HeNe and a 532Nm Coherent C315m. Maybe I could try combining them and let you know what happens, as long as you're not in a hurry as time is short at the moment.

Cheers

Jem
    Last edited by Jem; 10-03-2007 at 02:17. Reason: I gave wrong objective mag

Lightbulb

In my projector the combined green and red beams look pretty much yellow IMO... I'll take a pic when I get home, but I think it looks a lot like what you are going after.
    Last edited by allthatwhichis; 10-03-2007 at 20:34.

Maybe I could try combining them and let you know what happens, as long as you're not in a hurry as time is short at the moment.
    Sounds great, and no hurry -its a hobby, not my job

It that the beam w/o fog or the spot on the wall, Allthat? My spot looks yellow too.. well that didnt come out exactly right...

Lightbulb

No, it is the beam. I checked a little last night and it looks mainly yellow, but there are a few red and green speckles. The camera I used has a slow exposure so it looked yellow in the pics I took. I also tried with all three going and my beam looks white if I am aligned perfectly but I still get a little R, G, or B speckle because the beams aren't all the same size... but for the most part the middle is nice and white.