Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mixer

Well i dunno I must be doing something wrong - even tho my beams are aligned -maybe its this mountain air..or something.. I just need to see pure yellow speckles. There's alot of money to be made in a pure yellow laser.. I saw one the other day ..2400usd for 30-50mw or so.. (not that i'm in it for the $$..

Lightbulb

I meant to post this a few days ago... Here is what mine looks like right after the dichro.

Maybe it is the sticky air here in florida... All my colors look blended except for where they diverge a little differently due to different beam specs.

Just a quick update re: the fiber thingy.

You may recall I was going to try to launch a red and green laser from my holography setup into a 6um single mode fiber. If i'm quite honest i'm not having much success with it. I can launch the green beam OR the red beam into the fiber independantly with not much problem. However, when I try to launch both beams combined i'm having problems with the alignment and all I get out of the other end is red and green blobs, with the occasional bit of yellowish orange mixed in.

This could be due to a few reasons, possibly my setup isn't accurate enough and the beams just aren't aligned correctly (6um is pretty small). If this is the reason, a little more time and accuracy may solve the problem. The other possible reason may be due to the different laser wavelengths (and powers) and the single mode fiber, which is an Ex telecoms fiber probably designed for 1550nm.

When I get some more free time i'll have another go, in the meantime if anyone wants to chip in here with some of the physics behind what i'm trying to do...

Cheers

Jem

Question

Are you re colminating the beams when thet exit the fiber? Kinda "un-launching"...

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    Are you re colminating the beams when thet exit the fiber? Kinda "un-launching"...
    Nah, don't need to collimate the beams from the fiber for holography, it's a distinct advantage to have a nice diverging beam in this case as the beam spread usually needs to be enough to cover the plate or object.

Fibers for projectors are a completely different ball game. They don't have to be single mode fibers as it's not necessary to preserve coherence length or polarisation for a projector beam. You would of course have to re-collimate the beam for use in a projector.

Jem

Beautiful projector, Allthat. It does look perfect, and there's no smoke or fog in the air? Is that a Maxy on the end?

Lightbulb

Thanks, but there is some fog in the air, and yes, that is a maxyz on the end. It may be that I have good near and far convergence... (is that right?) Sometimes I just sit there and get the beams all lined up in a nice white beam. They seem to get mis aligned a little all the time.

Uhh- yeah convergence is good, or alignment ..it doesnt matter unless you're a laser phyicist I suppose..
    Yeah I have to align mine too all the time.. You're still one up on me 'cause you got a nice bluey <jealous > hehe I'll get mine soon -cant wait till I'm out of traffic debt.. I guess you still havto spend over a grand or 2 on a decent 473??

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by steve-o View Post
    I guess you still havto spend over a grand or 2 on a decent 473??
    My 50mW TTL was won off eBay for around $500. The seller still auctions them all the time. I have seen em go for $700 and as low as $400. I would like to get a 100mW and yes, they are closer to 2 grand...

I see you like like the 'left to right' scheme too.. what was it about having to go from right -to - left to make the galvos work I've seen several L->R now-- one guy said he had to custom fabricate scanner mounts.. I would think you just interchange X/Y -
    -edit:
    The seller still auctions them all the time.
    can you devulge this "seller"?
    Last edited by steve-o; 10-13-2007 at 18:11.