Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Don't you love it when your wife goes out of town...

Question

Just curious - what type of insulation did you use? The paper-like fiber stuff, the styrofoam beads, or the loose fiberglass? (Or something else?)

I've seen the paper-like stuff done at my parent's house, and while it looked really easy to work with, the stuff has a relatively low R value. I've actually done the styrofoam stuff myself, and I'll never touch it again... Might have a better insulation value, but it makes one hell of a mess. (Especially around the hopper!)

I've heard about the loose fiberglass stuff... Supposedly it will work with the same equipment, and it's got the best R value of the three. My only concern was loading loose fiberglass into the feed hopper. (How messy is it?) Cleaning up styrofoam is bad, but cleaning up fiberglass has got to be worse. (Styrofoam doesn't make you itch!)

Adam

Lightbulb

I like the woman's idea with recycling old jeans. I'm not sure if you could "blow" that material though...

Next meet is at david's place...
    Ha! Anytime, well, anytime after I get this room done. I still have 3 days of mudding to do and my vacation is now over and I'm off to atlanta again...

If you have a garage and dont want a window unit look into a mini split A/C.
    Thats what I put out in this new room was a split A/C. These things are great and so quiet! Also so much more efficient than the central air. The guy that installed it said they are getting very popular and they now have the outdoor compressor unit that can feed up to 4 of the inside units.

Just curious - what type of insulation did you use?
    I used the fiberglass insulation that has the paper (vapor barrier) backing. R-13 for the walls and R23 for the ceiling and what a huge difference its already made. Prior to having the A/C hooked up it stayed cool in there for half the day. Now with the A/C I made it cold in there compaired to the rest of the house. Regarding the insulation, I found out after I already installed it all that you can use baby powder to keep from itching. Aparently it fills in your pores and prevents the fiberglass from getting into your skin! Oh well, I know for next time...

Lightbulb

I'm an ex cable guy, I HATE insulation... Never heard of the baby powder trick. I just learned to crawl like a spider on the trusses.

I hear ya'. I'm an ex-phone guy and crawled around in 120 degree attics in the middle of summer in S.Fla. Opens them pores real big when your sweattin' like a pig so all that good ol' fiberglass can get in real good - uck.. :/

Smile

HAHA! I have the exact same roll of C-mas paper in the room over my garage! And, just like yours, it's got laser stuff around it. How cool is that?
    Adam.. Awesome .. must be 'great minds'.. hehe