Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh Bollox

Thumbs down Oh Bollox

tonight im not a happy bunny - my X axis scanner (CT6800) has decided to turn into an ex scanner
    Was running my projector and all of a sudden noticed I was only getting deflection in one axis. Upon investigation the driver is outputing to the scanner but there is no sign of life. Have tested and it appears the motor coil is open circuit

Major bummer.

Anyone got a spare CT they dont need?

Rob
    Last edited by stanwax; 09-30-2007 at 13:19.
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Never let it be said that I dont take the opportunity to do some research in the name of science - so with that in mind here is a pic of the main components of a CT 6800 scanner.
    More pix to follow tomorrow.
    Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ct6800.jpg  

If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner

Is it a 6800 or 6800HP Rob?

I may have something in the bat cave that may (with a little titting about)
    save your cape...

Ahhh, answered by picture...

PM on the way

Not a happy moment I can see. I thought it was supposed to be fairly difficult to overdrive those, that the thinner faster ones were the really vulnerable ones. (6215 I think). Useful pictures, it's rare to see inside a scanner. Any chance the soldered connections might have anything to do with an open-circuit coil? I don't know how the coil is connected internally, but if soldered a dry joint might result from prolonged heat on the outer end of a contact pin, and grow worse with high current through increasing resistance. I thought those things usually used plugged cables.

Hi doc

Before i stripped it I tested the coil resistance directly on the wires as they exit the body - at the point they solder onto the PCB I get a reading of 4.5 ohms on the working scanner and zip on this. I will try to remove the coil from the main body but its potted in epoxy and so is not gonna come without a fight.

Rob

I sincerely hope you checked the SMD fuse before dis-assembly?

Somehow I doubt there is an smd anything between the coils and the ends of the wires from those coils where they solder onto the PCB which as stated above is where I tested. Anyway the way it is I could easily reassemble in about 5 mins.

According to the drawings I have - as provided by Spec when I bought them from him - mine are 6800HPL scanners which do not have the standard header type connector and instead have the solder pads in a curve as can be seen on the pic above. There is no sign on the PCB of a fuse of any description. Will try and post some more pix tomorrow that show the parts in more detail - just in case anyone is interested.

Rob

Well, being this the Lounge and all i must say that:
    Trafficuious ticket+ 500.00usd
    Lawer450
    courtcoststs 75
    traffic school dunno prob 100-200
    total--theres more but I cant remember rightnow...
    the lazer i could of bought
    --pricelesss

But I did learn one thing -- an expensive lawyer is like an expensive haircut-- youll come out smelling like a .. well not a rose, but at least a peach ...money buys money...heh...

With all of this I probably could of at least bought a CNI blue 50 mw..but it all turned out good so I feel great!! sorry for the bad mood at selem.. that was what caused it..
    looking forward to next year tho...

Cool

Glad to hear that's behind you now, Steve-o! Yeah, you could have bought a nice laser for that, but then again - it could have turned out a lot worse if you hadn't lawyered up early on... Consider yourself lucky!

Rob;

Damn - sorry to hear that your scanner died. Strange that it just quit like that. Were you displaying anything that was particularly taxing? From the tests you've done it's clear that the coil is open. I'm thinking that you'd have to *really* overdrive that thing to get it hot enough to melt the coil wire and break the circuit. Wierd...

Any luck finding a replacement? (That is, besides visiting the Cambridge website and shelling out serious $$$?)

Adam