Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DT-40 tuning and noise?

Default DT-40 tuning and noise?

Hi,

I'm doing my first tests with the DT-40 scans I've received some weeks ago and FB3 + Livepro.

However, when I have "difficult" frames played back (with lots of points, e.g. graphics) the scanners make lots of "noise". That's no problem for me, but I didn't think scanners should make any sound?

And, when I have the ILDA-testpattern and try to display it (just the built-in ILDA-pattern in LivePro) at 30K, it's not smooth (you can see it scanning) and the circle is bigger than the square. What can I do?

I have exactly the same setup as yours and I notice all of those behavior in mine as well. I think those are normal since my setup was tuned by Bill of Pangolin and he didn't mentioned any fault with my set. Mine flickers a lot when scanning ILDA test pattern and I think it's due to the complexity of the image. In regards to the circle being bigger than the square, Bill told me that it's due to the scanner actually scanning faster than the actual speed. Mine is tuned at 36K and LiveQUICK USB only allows me to run them as fast as 30K.

Anyway, I think you are fine. I know how you feel and I personally hate to see them flickers as well when doing heavy graphics . With the noise, I'm not really sure myself. I guess as long as they're not making any noise when not scanning is OK. Hopefully the more knowledgeable member will chime in and make these clear to all of us newbie .

EDIT: LiveQUICK comes with dolphin and whale animations. Just as a comparison, when scanning whale I can see all the lines appeared very solid. However, dolphin flickered noticeably and I suspect it's because of the extra bubbles in the animation, which stresses the scanners a lot (make them noisier too).
    Last edited by VaThInK; 10-01-2007 at 22:16.

Well, sounds like no problems at all then (Most of the beamshows still look great).

i have the original dt40 (not pros) and the fb3, i didnt need to do any tuning.

they seemed to work perfect together
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

I'm also running the DT-40Pros and FB3. Some of the animations (like the Spirographic animations etc) look perfect as they're designed without spaces. The dolphin flickers a lot.

I may have posed this question on another thread: How about shielding the X,Y,grounds that go from the DB25 to the amps? Would that help? Additionally, I'm running a short serial-cable with a gender changer for an ILDA cable until I get over to Norvac (electronics store) to get some more DB25 plugs, heat-shrink tuning and DB25 housings. I imagine some of the noise could be caused by this, but then again.. shouldn't a serial cable be at least a little shielded?

i dont get any flicker with the dolphin
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    What's your scan angle?

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    Erm, I've seen a video clip of your scanners in action somewhere and yours flickers too. Looks exactly like mine if I captured mine on video. Maybe you just don't notice it as much as I do.

I'm not familiar with the software that comes with the fb3 but when you load a frame, does it load the scan rate that was set in the software when it was saved? i.e. the dolphin could have been saved at 12k but the other stuff saved at 30k. Can you manually change the scan speed one the frame is running Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by mliptack View Post
    What's your scan angle?
    No idea

Erm, I've seen a video clip of your scanners in action somewhere and yours flickers too. Looks exactly like mine if I captured mine on video. Maybe you just don't notice it as much as I do.
    only on camera. people have seen mine at the UK meet and it does not flicker
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat