Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FB3 question

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    The LiveQUICK software should allow you to export to ILDA as well as import. LivePRO definitely allows both directions.

Off the top of my head, I don't know how to do it, and I am not at the office so I can't try it now. But it definitely should be possible...

Best regards,

William Benner
    did u work out how to do this..

Default export to ilda

use designer in the la freak package, just drop in your lpc or any other existing format available in the software and goto export , choose ilda file, also allows you to choose 2d/3d palette,

not every palette works so it takes a few tests

I think you are all going to run into the same brick wall pretty soon. That is to say that there are certain people out there who don't want you to have ANY kind of generic laser art file format.

The ILDA format is incomplete. Just about every programmer that has worked with it has interpreted it in a slightly different way. I don't have access to any other software out there, but I have seen some of it in action. There are none that I can think of that really read and write even the old standard ILDA with palette information. Most of what I have seen can only read the 2D and 3D vector sections and assume a palette.

A lot of the art that you are likely to get out of some of the proprietary systems will be true color. Meaning it is not palette. Every vertex can have its own, unique RGB value. What are you going to do with that information in an ILDA file ???

This has been a matter of contention between me and the ILDA community for several years.

There was a beautiful way that was proposed some time back in 2004. Shortly after I announced that LaserBoy was compliant with the new 24 bit ILDA standard. It was changed to something obviously broken.

http://www.akrobiz.com/laserboy/ilda_file_format.html

I'm not sure where the pieces fell or if anyone has tried to put them back together. I know there was a 4th and a 5th section type proposed. But that was just nonsense.

I wish we would all just stop f**king around and get it right.

LaserBoy still reads and writes proper ILDA (old school) AND it does a bang-up-job with 24 bit information as it was originally proposed. AND it will stay that way. As soon as one artist exchanges 24 bit laser vector art with another in the form of output from LaserBoy, it will become a world standard of its own.

James.