Thread: CS-400G rebuild - good idea/bad idea?

Default CS-400G rebuild - good idea/bad idea?

Hi,
    As some of you will have read in the programming section of the forum, I have just bought Moncha Lite for my Laserworld CS-400G and it don't work because the projector has scanners that operate @ +/- 10V and the Moncha DAC outputs the ILDA standard +/- 5V (the image is tiny and the scanning angle about 10 degrees)

What I want to know is, how feasible would it be for me to either;
    • Strip out the projector case and install new galvos & drivers for it to run ILDA only, or;
    • Simply retro-fit new galvos & drivers into the old system to work with all the old internals, or;
    • Strip out the projector and install new galvos & drivers, plus a couple of red diodes + PBS cube and turn it into an RGY?
    I am relatively capable, very patient and meticulous. To be honest, I think option 1 sounds like the better option, although I really fancy an RGY

What do you guys think? Would I really be able to salvage many of the componants from the old projector? Like the PSU for the current galvos? Only, otherwise, I will have to sell the Moncha software, which would be a great shame, as it is such a good system for me.

Your thoughts are all most welcome!

James

We always encourage re-building projectors, as long as you take lots of pictures!

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

The Laserworld galvos aren't really the best on the market, so changing them will *probably* benefit your projector. Especially the cheaper LW projectors have unstable diodes, diodes that are advertised at higher powers and/or crappy alignment.

The best and greatest option would be ripping out all of the internals except the galvo amp PSU (the 230V-15V thingy) and possibly the DMX circuit, which can come in useful in the future. It'll probably leave you some room for future addition of a red and dichro, and a good scanner system will be much more effective at better projections than more power.

You might be able to sell the old LW galvos to someone who can use them, they might even have some bigger scan angle if you can re-tune them.

Thanks for the input.
    The green is too good to change, and Monchas is too well suited to my app'. So, somethings gotta give, and it will probably be the LW scanners. I supose, if I am going to go for it, I may as well throw in two red 650nm 300mW diodes and be done with it Decisions decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
    Thanks for the input.
    The green is too good to change, and Monchas is too well suited to my app'. So, somethings gotta give, and it will probably be the LW scanners. I supose, if I am going to go for it, I may as well throw in two red 650nm 300mW diodes and be done with it Decisions decisions.
    There is no reason to throw out working lasers, but you might want to add in a 405nm diode too for an RGV rather than just RGY... If there is any room in there!

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Quote Originally Posted by sugeek View Post
    There is no reason to throw out working lasers, but you might want to add in a 405nm diode too for an RGV rather than just RGY... If there is any room in there!

-Adam
    Seconded!

You might need a few Die4Drive's or Flexmods too, of course... I'm not sure how big the unit is but with a few tricks it'll probably fit. The standard Laserworld form factor is kind of bulky.