Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oudin/tesla coil

Default oudin/tesla coil

Hi,

i need for a simple rf starter (for an ar-ion laser) a small tesla/oudin coil. Any idea when i can get such thing?

Thanks
    Ronny

Electro Technic makes a great product for such a thing. Its model BD-10a coil. They show up on ebay from time to time and go for anywhere between 20 buck to about 80. You can buy them new for about $175.

David

what about a power supply "brick" from a hene laser? would that work? I see them on ebay alot.

Has to be RF? I thought a single sharp DC pulse would be enough.

Maplin Electronics (UK) do a 6KV strobe trigger transformer (their code: JE15R) for £1.21.

This is another way but will cost more:
    http://www.laserdrive.com/argon.cfm?pl=2,5
    They cite voltage between 5 and 10 KVDC, so the odds are the Maplin thinger will do it, you might be able to overdrive it a bit, it's not like it has to do it often.

A HeNe supply wont cut it and you may end up fying the HeNe supply when the start pulse comes. Yes, Doc, a pulse is generally used to start an argon from an ignitor. However, if the ignitor has failed or the tube is high pressure or near end of life and is hard starting, you need an oudin coil to get it going. The BD10a from Electro Technic can sometimes start a tube without the help of the ignitor, depends on what situation your in (tube pressure and age) but typically the BD10a will just work in conjunction with the ignitor to sustain discharge. The BD10a is your best bet in my opinion. Maybe mixedgas can chime in with alternatives.

Actually it might have been him who suggested those. I'd forgot where I came across them. Thing shaped a bit like a tape head demagnetiser that puts out several tens of KVAC at low RF. I out to put that on the eBay watch list just for the offchance of getting one, it could be a neat toy.

Another possible device is a shockrod, the type used as self defence weapons. Might be cheap, if you can get one. I'm not sure they're very legal, so might be hard to get.

Another possible device is a shockrod, the type used as self defence weapons. Might be cheap, if you can get one. I'm not sure they're very legal, so might be hard to get.
    Hmm, I've never though about trying one of those. Might be a neat thing to try on some rainy day. Here's an example of a BD10A on ebay, its already completed though: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-ELECTRO-TECH...QQcmdZViewItem

That is SO 'mad scientist'! Quick, Igor, the lamps! That thing looks like it dropped out of a Gernsback continuum, a place full of steam-driven calculators and mechanisms lovingly crafted in brass and crystal and mahogany and ivory. Actually, looking at it again, it looks like dentists gear from the turn of the last century.

oh cool, thanks for the answers.

I will try to get one and will try if it works - i will use it to replace the standard single pulse igniter. The tubes are triggered several times a day so i will try to startup the tube as soft is possible.

Ronny

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by ronny View Post
    oh cool, thanks for the answers.

I will try to get one and will try if it works - i will use it to replace the standard single pulse igniter. The tubes are triggered several times a day so i will try to startup the tube as soft is possible.

Ronny
    Which tube will you be using? I have a pile of Lexel, ALC, and Coherent ignitors, if you tell me your PSU?Tube combination I can set you up well.

Soft is NOT it! The ignitor needs to be a sharp hard Spike. BD10s are using for testing water cooled tubes for gas intactness and for aiding starting of air cooleds. usually a ion ignitor is a 1-10 uf cap charged to 300V dumping into a 1 turn primary winding on a torroid, the secondary winding being in series with the tube and usually 20-30 turns of large guage wire.

ALC/Meditech larger aircooled products use a simple trigger coil (still much hotter then photo flash ones) to a spark gap up against a isolated fin at middle.

I'm a ion laser tech by profession, I will be glad to help you out.

Steve Roberts