Thread: Laser and Human computer interface

Default Laser and Human computer interface

impressive setup IMO.

Sort of the inverse of what we are doing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSDgylAFy4E

That is impressive. Scary even. That could put ranging and targetting tech into the hands of anyone who can afford a mobile phone, within a few years or less. It might also be better than any human or even a vehicle can outrun. Short of munitions, it totally levels the military capability to the point where anyone could build a smart missile system. Philip K Dick thought of some smart and scary bombs but even he didn't see this one coming.

Well, the tracking laser seems to be only at all times on her finger-tips, so... i dont think i'm scared yet...

Hasn't exactly got a bomb attached either.

That's not the point though. Look at the speed and accuracy. The only thing preventing that from easily being fitted to a missile or other long-range fast tracking system is the laser power is low, the noise immunity might not be high enough, and perhaps the angular resolution isn't fine enough. These are all differences only of degree. Small refinements would be enough to make that tool extremely hazardous in many contexts. Don't worry about not seeing how it can be dangerous, just be aware that there will be people who can, and will exploit it if it's really ready to be used.

There are already fools who shine lasers at aircraft pilots, some of them making big news occasionally. Most of them aren't a threat because it's not that easy to aim a laser at that range at a moving target for long enough to risk more than distraction. With this thing it could be much easier to do. So easy that a terrorist might be extremely fascinated by it.

---------

All that aside, what fascinates me is how does it track a fingertip? Why not some other part of the finger? Why track the pingpong ball instead of the hand that dropped it? There's something that video isn't telling us. A simple four quadrant photodetector, or even something more elaborate, can't get enough data to calculate the difference between a fingertip and the rest of the finger.

If this is for real it could be very dangerous, and I'm not convinced it is real. It's not the first time a neat bit of tech was demonstrated that looks a bit iffy, there was that 3D hologram manipulation thinger someone posted about here a few weeks ago. It looks cool but leaves too many unanswered questions, like something in sci-fi, like Molly's mirrorshades, Gibson openly posts on his blog about how there was never any explanation for their attachment. A detailed presentation can omit more than it includes, and like the mirrorshades, people don't usually notice till someone points it out.
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 10-13-2007 at 18:04.

Kinda like the movie "Swordfish" -"What the eyes see and the ears hear; the mind believes-- 'mis-direction' " (How'd he do that?? or- How'd they do that??)..

That is such an awesome movie! Seen twice, and I'll do it again too.
    Halle Berry rocks.

Ohh she's sexxxxy in that movie ohhh--geezzz

Precisely!
    Damn good in the Bond movie too.
    Need some of Allthat's smileys, this forum doesn't have enough to do her justice.

Cool

Dude... A smiley isn't going to do Halle Berry justice, even if it is one of the cool ones that allthatwhichis has.

Loved the scene when the dude see's her getting dressed and she's wearing the wire. Then Travolta's character walks in. "Hmmm... This looks friendly..." Berry says, "You know me... I'm a friendly girl!" while she hides the wire behind her back...

Yeah, I'll bet she's friendly!

Great movie. Didn't know how it was going to end until - you know, the end! (The alternate endings on the DVD were cool too!)

Adam