Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Melles 58 BLD 605

Lightbulb

I saw someone selling a 500mW 671nm diode that had a 457nm laser in his pictures comparing beams. The 457 had two beams. I wonder if this was the same laser. Could try to combine them with a wierd pbs set up.

ok here's the deal i have the green version of the melles (2.5 watts) well its not actually a melles it a "laser power" "microlaser" but it is the same as a melles as they sold the design to melles and melles ran with it (melles even was handling warranty on the older one like mine)

from what im told the pump diode pumps the top and bottom of the crystal (its actually more complex than that) and send out 2 beams

and on the front of mine there is a screw on polarized cube that has x/y adjustments to align the 2 beams

--
    John
    VJ AIWAZ

One is H and one is V polarization. You can combine the beams with a mirror and a PBS cube.
    CLICKY!!!

Admin: In the immortal words of Captain Planet: YOU HAVE THE POWER
    Admin: (To quit being a bitch)

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Laser Power was bought by MG who is now MG-CVI
    The origional microlasers were designed for a external combiner with a cube and a waveplate, and emitted two beams, because of walkoff in the doubling crystal and the fact that it was a bidirectional cavity. LFI and others made a module to combine the two beams and MG either licensed it or copyed it, releasing a one beam laser. LP was founded to make a laser projection video system using this technology. The patents are on the patent server if you want to see whats inside. one of the Patents is a fiber combined pump array, hence the high cost of custom diodes for these. And yes it is a side pump.
    There were orginally 3 versions AT the time these were highly attractive to the show industry because they were inexpensive typically 15K for a green, ran off 110, the alternative was ion, noboy else made a green yag in a compact package that was not arc lamp pumped (my 6 watt green from that era is arc lamp) and certain companies made group buys getting them out there cheap. There were only a few 5mW green pointers coming from china at the time and those had serious issues. seeing R,G,B at the time those powers more then a few mW without water cooling on a trade show table at the ilda conference was amazing, and Melles is a serious manufacturer with quality. They show up in platemakers for the green ones and a few dental curers and lab instruments for the blue ones. I dont think red sold that much. The blue at the time was BBO or BiBo. The green and red were KTP. I've seen a RGB projector using them at the new cost, nothing like 45 thousand dollars worth of RGB with cambridges attached.

550 mW Blue
    ~700 milliwatt 690 red (yes doubled yag on a ~1290 nm line)
    2-3 and later 5 watt green.

Steve Roberts

you know now I'm thinking about the first one that was only 25mw.. I wonder if someone just went in and cranked down the power. You can program the power to drop and store it in the laser. you can change all the voltages for almost anything and store them.

damn i wish i bought that one now. I need a crystal ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Astroguy View Post
    If you look at Sam's laser facts it says some of these units put out two 200mw beams 45 degrees from each other.
    BLD are dual beam single mode
    BSD are dual beam multimode
    BLS are single beam

MG's greens are the same

GLD
    GSD
    GLS
    GSS