Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: For Sale TTL RGB 30K "kit"

Ok, so I got everything and checked all the lasers, they all work

Now I just don't know what to do first. I have an aluminum plate, but it doesn't seem big enough to hold everything on it. I got the scanners with the boards, which I know how to hook up the galvo to the board. There are two eight pin connectors, which I believe ties the scanners together and two three pin connectors which hook up to the amp I believe? And lastly there are four wires sticking out, red, blue, black, and white which I don't know what to do with. Other than that I think I can set up the galvos and the amp. Now how do I place them?

Now, do I just put the boards on the plate? That doesn't seem very smart as there is electricity running through them and the bottom of the board has the silver dot things everywhere. How do I place those?

The red laser has red and black wire sticking out with "blanking" written on tape. I don't know what that is for.

Anyone know the sizes of screws I need? They are a different size for the dichro mount. In order to mount the MaXYZ laser which has no holes on it, should I just surround it with screws so it stays in place?

Touching wires are bad correct? So don't let open wires touch each other?

Anyone have a setup idea? I know the blue gets reflected once, and should be the first to hit the scanners, then comes reflected red, and green is last

Should look like ll_ right?

How should I level the lasers? All three are different heights. The green laser has another wire coming from the power box. It has two pins and looks like a connector you plug into a hard drive. The blue laser has red and black wires coming out, just like the red but without the "blanking" tape

What do I have to solder? I'll put up pictures soon.

Thanks!!!

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...isis32/red.jpg Red diode \ blanking tape
    http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...is32/plate.jpg Aluminum plate size comparison
    http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...is32/Green.jpg Green with connector
    http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...sis32/blue.jpg Blue with wires
    Last edited by Dj_Nexus; 11-13-2007 at 11:22.

Aligning the beams is harder than I thought it was. I guess it would help if all the lasers were at the same height before going into the dichro? I'm going to walmart to pick up some screws and a soldering iron. Apparently the inner holes aren't threaded, only the two rows on the outside. I'll see if they have plugs that size, or something. It will be done

Ahhh I am SOOO happy :-D

I had them aligned by holding one of them, so it looked cool :-D Got white light

FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Why?!?!? Why????!?!!? Did my hand slip!??!!? FUCKKKKKKKKKK

There goes the red where can I get another red diode....? I am SOOO pissed now. Are there DPSS red? Something that WON'T kill itself....

Oh my god I can't believe that just happened....

Do DPSS lasers die when reflected back? Even if not, I'm going to be extra careful I think I may just buy a DPSS 671nm red....so I won't have to worry as much. I may sell the dead red, or fix it up and install it into my corny projector....

Any ideas?

DAMN....
    Last edited by Dj_Nexus; 11-13-2007 at 14:43.

Lightbulb

Hey... Calm down, well for a sec, and post exactly what happened and maybe a pic or two of the resulting... damage. I see it is a maxyz, and they have done repairs before, maybe you won't be without a red for long.

Smile

Yikes!

Ok - slow down. First, you need to make sure you're not shorting anything out on that optical plate. You want to mount the laser heads, the dichros, and the scanners on the plate. If you have room you can mount the scanner amp boards on there too, but most people put them elsewhere in the projector. Same thing goes for the driver units for the lasers - they don't need to be on the optical plate. But be sure that you don't create a short circuit by laying a circuit board on the optical table. The underside of the board can short out if it touches the bare metal.

As for why the red diode failed, my guess is probably back-reflection. You need to be very careful with a TTL-only diode, because it's either off or on at full power. And if it's on at full power there is a risk that you can kill it. Alignment is crucial. More on this later, after you've gotten the laser repaired.

Send a pm to Marconi here on PhotonLexicon. He's the guy that builds and sells the Maxyz modules. Let him know what happened and see what he'll charge to fix it. He usually works out a pretty decent price for repairs on his units, even though in your case he's probably going to need to charge you for a replacement diode. (Ouch) That's still going to be a lot cheaper than buying a brand new unit, but consider it a costly lesson.

A DPSS red is another option, but they're *really* expensive. (like $1,500 for just 200 mw) Plus since it's pretty far down in the spectrum (671 nm) you're going to need more power to make it appear as bright as a 200 mw Maxyz module (which lases at between 658 and 660 nm). You might want to wait a bit before you go down that road.

As for the wiring, we can assist you with that. I can't view your pictures right now (blocked at work), but I'll take a closer look later and see if I can figure out what you're talking about with the wires that are not yet connected.

And remember - slow down! You've got plenty of time to get everything working. You want to have a plan in place though, and work carefully and methodically. Then when you're done, you won't have to mess with it again. You can just enjoy it. But if you start connecting things willy-nilly, you're more likely to have a mishap like you did today, and when it comes to lasers, mishaps get expensive.

Adam

$1500 for 200mW of 671nm....hmmm.

I got a quote for $500

Also, the maxyz I have is 660nm, and was pretttty darn bright for 175mW. I wouldn't imagine 11nm difference and a 25mW increase would make it seem that much less bright.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Dj_Nexus View Post
    $1500 for 200mW of 671nm....hmmm.

I got a quote for $500

Also, the maxyz I have is 660nm, and was pretttty darn bright for 175mW. I wouldn't imagine 11nm difference and a 25mW increase would make it seem that much less bright.
    That is a pretty good price. There is a fairly big difference in our eye's sensitivity between the two wavelengths. I would say you will need atleast twoce the 671 to match the 660.

Quote Originally Posted by Dj_Nexus View Post
    I wouldn't imagine 11nm difference and a 25mW increase would make it seem that much less bright.
    Would you imagine that a 25 nm difference in wavelength would make a 5X difference in perceived power? Well it's true! We did the test at FLEM 1.5. (It was actually the second time we'd done the test. I didn't believe the original numbers and demanded a re-match.)

We tested a 635 nm red diode against a pair of Maxyz modules at 660 nm. We balanced the two projectors until the reds appeared equally bright on the screen. (They were both displaying the same pattern.) Then we checked each laser's output with a calibrated lasercheck wand set to the appropriate wavelength. The 635 nm laser was making 73 mw, and the 660 nm pair were making 375 mw. Do the math - that's a 5 fold difference in power!

And if you think you're surprised, you should have seen the look on my face! In my head I already knew that the numbers on the optical chart supported this very conclusion, but I couldn't accept it as real until I saw it with my own eyes. Several other people at FLEM 1.5 were equally surprised that the actual numbers turned out to be so close to what the chart predicted.

So take those numbers to the bank. They're real.

Adam

But, is the difference a drastic change from 175mW 660nm to 200mw 671nm?

If only I could see a true comparison. If it's not drastic, I'm not worried about it. It'll be clearly brighter than a 5mW 680nm

Cool

Based on this chart, your 671 nm laser will appear roughly half as bright as your Maxyz module.

Adam