Thread: Re Cheap laser controllers

No way... I swear that was Al Gore...

Quote Originally Posted by Banthai View Post
    GlansTiny wrote

thats correct 1957 .... just 6 months after i invented the Internet

thankyou

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Red face

No No No NO, its not General Screaming, Its General Spinning! In 1958 they started using piano wire for the restorative force device, but when the son took over the biz he changed the river to white chocolate and stopped silver plating the wire to pay for the expense of bleaching the chocolate. When the wire was no longer so conductive and not so easy to solder,, they switched to brazing, which weakened the force, and prevented the customer's lakeys from replacing the worn out emergency setscrew, When this appened, the flux capacitor position sensors could no longer see the edges of the field and allowed complete rotation when the small sections of the wire fell into microwormholes while scanning and dissapeared. The feedforward loop in customers amplifers didnt know how to deal with this and started pulsing in phase with a local neutron star and thus caused sustained rotation to nearly infinate speeds whilest also making a large sucking sound if you held a wallet near it.

His chief engineer's intern, disgusted by the change in taste of the gobbstoppers from the white chocolate,which was later determined to be cheap carob,, went across the river to nearby Springfield and set up his own plant, on hayden street, next to Monty Burns reactor. His goal was scanners faster then the speed of Dark,with no restorative force and aerodynamic mirrors designed by Wilbur Wright Himself, thus no more screaming or spinning! When Homer the duty EOOW actually withdrew the rods too much while choking on a toroid he thought was a donut, the meltdown to China sucked the new plant down to China with it. The more powereful magnets in the new scanners wanted to stay at the Earth's soft iron core, thus ripping the roof off the falling plant, and scattering the plans and design documents all over China.
    AND
    THUS
    The Story
    Begins....
    Last edited by mixedgas; 10-19-2007 at 07:59.

clandestiny is offline Eleventy-Billion Watt Ar/Kr >:)
    somewhere between orlando and san antonio

Lol.

BTW, I have 4 of the I90MA medical sleds. I mainly just removed the krypton for use esewhere. I'm thinking about possibly putting those supplies back into use as they are dummer than a regular I90 supply ( ie forgiving on high pressure tubes ) I'll set up a post to dissuss those with you as well as the brick starters and blocking diodes
    go big or go home

Steve wrote
    When Homer the duty EOOW actually withdrew the rods too much while choking on a toroid he thought was a donut,
    ahhhh now i understand , and so i guess thats where they got the idea for "The Simpsons" from .... its amazing how many cartoons are based on real life situations that have occured in the past

all the best ... Karl

I agree that ideas from these shows are often modeled after real life situations. I have to disagree on the Simpsons issue though- the whole thing with the rods was based on Buffo's carrer in the navy nuke power program.
    go big or go home

Reminds me of the SL1 accident... remember that Buffo?

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    Reminds me of the SL1 accident... remember that Buffo?
    Hell yes I do. That's the stuff nightmares are made from. The dude that pulled the rod ended up IMPALED on the ceiling. Not that it would have mattered though. Based on prompt-jump calculations performed after the accident, it's estimated that the power peaked at 20 *BILLION* watts. (Not bad for a 3 megawatt reactor, eh?)

The pressure vessel sheared completly off from the main coolant piping and was thrown something like 10 feet into the air. While in the air (and with the core supercritical, I might add) it was completely exposed, since it was out of (or rather, above) the primary shield tank. So everything was hot. The dude was toast no matter what. (And so were the other two, along with the nurse that attended to the one operator that lived for just an hour or so afterwards.)

Remember children: Don't pull the control rod out of a fueled nuclear reactor (especially on one that doesn't conform to the "one stuck rod" safety design rule) just to see if you can free it up so it won't stick the next time you initiate a scram.

Adam

Default How to get burried at Hanford without really trying.

And the way they cleaned it up was interesting, run about 3000 people through there, at maybe a minute each, then send em home. One James Earl Carter , future president of the US, included. The guys body was burried in a lead lined coffin in a huge concrete vault his home town, like minus his head and some other parts , which is at Hanford. Just think about it, he WONT decay.

One wonders if it was a accident or suicide? Certainly a case for justifing the two man rule. Sadly one of the things you end up doing as a university tech is spending a lot of time "re-educating" student operators of equipment, including older ones who should know better, ie Postdocs. So I can see how it happened. Get in ahurry, hey why is is this stuck... get me a hammer, Boom.....

The real one for interesting reading is "We almost lost Detroit" , about a sodium cooled reactor that somebody did a slight design mod to, adding a last minute cone of thin titainium sheet at the bottom of the core to disperse a meltdown, the Ti sheet popped up, rolled into a shape and clogged the coolent drain. Boom. When they probed the dead reactor with a camera,according to the book, the guys comment was "Who left the %$#@ beer can in the reactor" I had to read it as part of a design failure study, in other words, how do we humans screw up the works.

Now, I dont need a another big PBR in my backyard (well, already have two of them within 100 miles) but a small HTGR would be welcome if it lowered my gas bill. Pebble beds seem the way to go, if what I'm told is true, it takes a 3-4 day period to even start to melt down. If we'd do what the french do, and what the Navy did, and standardize on one design.....

These days, even Greenpeace is endorsing nuke instead of coal. Go figgure.

Billion watts peak eh, how does that compare with that pulsed monster in Idaho?

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by clandestiny View Post
    Lol.

BTW, I have 4 of the I90MA medical sleds. I mainly just removed the krypton for use esewhere. I'm thinking about possibly putting those supplies back into use as they are dummer than a regular I90 supply ( ie forgiving on high pressure tubes ) I'll set up a post to dissuss those with you as well as the brick starters and blocking diodes
    As for the sleds..
    Its almost exactly a Lexel psu, basically, designed by the same guys, but for graphite tubes, before they spun off and started Lexel . I have the schematics on it, and those MA and MRA and MK tubes make great whitelights when I do "resivoir" refills on them and change out the gasses.

Steve

I know, they have been great lightshow tubes. I have plenty for whitelight converts, but I would have to send them to the west coast for repump.
    Always seemed like I had other things to spend the money on.
    Of course fresh gas is one thing, then I'd have to come up with the optics-
    Sooo, I just always ran them in ar/kr pairs
    go big or go home