Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blackpool Tower Laser UK

some deserve to be shot down
    Actaully I like EJ and their nice mainly white fuselage would show a laser up just nice

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    didnt fluff aka mark say he had some involvement in this project??
    Good memory Andy !!

I was asked to quote on it , but obviously the job went elsewhere. Laser Hire did it a few years ago with a 20 watt unit. I was asked to supply a 100 watt unit , but persuaded the client that was a bit ambitious, and 40 watts would be ample.

That was the last I heard of it unitil this thread, although I did know we didn't get the job !

Fluff
    The light at the end of the tunnel. Its' a white laser.
    www.rocknite.co.uk

Hey, Fluff

Any progress on those Medialas greenies????

Jem

im not just a pretty face mark
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

Speaking as a Sunday pilot, it should be OK 'cause I close my eyes every time I take off (and throw in a prayer for good measure) ..... also through most of the flight. A Pitts Special does that to you.
    Ray

The laser at Blackpool made the local evening news tonight - unfortunately for the wrong reasons. Apparently astronomers are complaining that it is adding to the light pollution and causing trouble in thier star gazing.
    I like to squint through my telescope at the stars and I really think this is being blown way out of proportion - I think that the laser is contributing little to light polution in the region and I think there are many other factors to address before the laser is a cause for concern. This is especially true when you consider the laser is a temporary installation and is only on breifly - in fact in the live part of the report you didnt see the laser come on.

Like I mentioned previously there used to be a continuous laser beam fired off the pier at Blackpool for several hours at a time during the illuminations 20 years ago - I dont recall the astronomers complaining then!

if you want to see the report there is a link here http://www.bbc.co.uk/northwesttonigh...es/index.shtml

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

naughty naughty blackpool
    Eat Sleep Lase Repeat

The local council here in Southampton wanted to do a similar thing from a clock tower. There were so many complaints against it, the idea was shelved.

I cant see how 4 static beams will cause light pollution 5 miles away. Other people were worried it might blind birds.

Shame really, as I had a quote ready.

Hi all

Well ive been to see the laser properly now .... and it does look cool

although its not on for long, Im guessing that if there are no complaints from the airport and others ... then next year it will run longer

and it does look quite spectacular, and its good that people are coming to blackpool to "see the Laser"

I also tonight got an email from Greg Mclenahan from worlwide lighting design and Laser technology who did the concept design for the Blackpool laser.
    seems a really nice guy to mail me and share the info below
    ( thanks Greg if you read this )

http://www.lasertechnologyltd.co.uk/en/blackpool.shtml

all the best ... Karl

Dave Hickford eh? Now where have I heard that name before...?