Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Points Cont'd, Asteroids Game in C#

Mike I got dx9 and .net 2.0 have cone the dll copy and still no joy. It will not work with my xp machine either

Rob
    If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Laserists do it by the nanometre.

Stanwax Laser is a Corporate Member of Ilda

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner
    www.photoniccleaning.co.uk

are you getting an error message of some sort?

just usual windows error report see below

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ss4.jpg  

If you need to ask the question 'whats so good about a laser' - you won't understand the answer.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stanwax Laser main distributor of First Contact in UK - like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirstContactPolymerCleaner

I did not know you could do that! I must have about 10 copies of easylase.dll all over the place on my laptop.

Good work though dude. Can't wait to try it with the laser.

edit: just realised I've cocked up the reply a bit. Did not notice there were two pages! oops. Just ignore me chaps. Hope you get it sorted Rob.
    Last edited by Lampy; 12-20-2007 at 14:07. Reason: me lost the plot again

Hmm, I actually ran into something similar when I fired up an earlier version of the program, without using an "error trap" around the code that was querying the game controller. Do you have a game controller hooked up to your machine, and if so, what kind? Also, is this a machine that you normally use an easylase with using other applications? When I first ran this program from the machine that I performed the most recent code changes, I had to go thru the process of attaching the powered up easylase via usb, let Windows discover it, then point it to the proper driver folder to make Windows content. If I need to, I can sure go in and encapsulate more of the code within error-handling blocks to help isolate the problem- that would actually just be good practice anyway. Let me do so and I'll post another copy. This is a good exercise in public distribution for me, since subsequent games that I create will likely be of a similar architecture.
    -Mike

Here is one with a little more error-handling.
    Give that a shot and let me know if you see any more detail in the error message.
    Thanks, Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Mike,

I'm looking forward to this but I get:

"An exception "System.IO.FileNotFoundException' has occured in Asteroids.exe."

This happens on both you latest versions. The one you sent me before still works...
    See you've implemented xml!
    Hope to see it working soon.

cheers,
    Z.

hey Mike
    sorry pal its just the same with the new version. Is teh text for the error report any use to you? May allow you to see whats going wrong...
    Rob

Hey Guys-
    I am at work now, so I cannot mess with it for a little while.
    Just for kicks, I tried it on my work PC. It popped a message saying it did not find a controller, then gave an error about not finding easylase.dll (expected because this PC has nothing to do with laser stuff), but I did see the main form try to come up.
    Are you guys double-clicking right on the exe in the unzipped folder?
    Zoof- yeah, I stashed some config stuff in an xml file, like speed and color intensities. I can zip up the whole source code folder and throw it out here for anyone who would like to run it in debug mode. I have been staying with my Dad for the last few weeks & using one of his old machines to tweak the most recent changes. My primary development machine is still over at my house, so if all else fails, I'll go grab it. I also have a laptop that I use sometime, so I can try to recreate the errors on that machine too.
    Oh, and by the way, I started messing around with a new game that is similar to the light-cycle game in Tron. But, one thing at a time I guess...
    As a programmer, nothing keeps me awake at night more than having a broken program out there...
    -Mike

I have recreated an error on my laptop, so that should help me get it working. In my laptop's situation, I can run the program fine with the game controller disconnected. The dll that I used for the joystick interface was one that I found on the web, written by some guy that felt like sharing it. I will add some additional error handling now that I am closer to the source of the problem.
    If you have a controller connected, disconnect it and see if that allows the game to fire up. That might help confirm the issue.
    Thanks, Mike