Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Laser Mame

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Default Laser Mame

For the Record:

Laser Mame was the invention of Rob Mudryck and Matt Polack
    I was setting in Rob's old office in Bay Village one day and he asked me what kind of systems used vector graphics besides laser shows. I mentioned Arcade, Military, Radar, Scientific and Medical CRTS. His next line was like "Have you ever seen the mame emulator?" I explained about the simple core vector graphics engine used on older arcade systems and the next time I was up for a visit, he had some preliminary code. Matt helped out later on parts of it.

Rodney made a similar product when Rob didnt put it in the public domain.
    While I respect Rodney for putting a public version of Laser Mame up, I feel a bit of clarification is in order.

Steve Roberts

Question

That was...odd.

You know my level of ignorance... Is this a way to play other vector graphic games on a projector beyond asteroids? I love asteroids and all, but, I can only amuse myself flying around the same tiny universe for so long. I want to play tempest or star wars.

LaserMAME is just an extension to MAME. MAME has been around a long time. Much longer than LaserMAME. All of the vector games (Asteroids, Tempest, Tailgunner, Battlezone) are playable in MAME so should be playable in LaserMame.

I would imagine that the LaserMAME part only grabs the frames from MAME and optimizes them and sends them to a DAC. Not that big of an achievment in my opinion.

Exclamation

Alright Steve, dammit... For a good three minutes I have been questioning my sanity all because you twitched... I don't think you help either Gary...

Now, is this Laser Mame still available?

These two threads are freaking me out man!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    These two threads are freaking me out man!
    Exactly...

I just did a search and found the threadon Pangoilin chat with... um someone... So, I, can't use this to play other games unless I own the ROM of the game I am playing, legally? And I bet these aren't on eBay huh?

Nopes original arcade PCB are half a meter to half a meter ROM boards.
    You can get atari 2600 rom for 5$ and you will be fine.
    I hired an Italian guy to do my wires. Now they look like spaghetti!

I have almost all of the MAME ROM images. I'm just a PM away.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Laser View Post
    Nopes original arcade PCB are half a meter to half a meter ROM boards.
    You can get atari 2600 rom for 5$ and you will be fine.
    Those I can find on eBay. That is all I need to have to legally play the game on my projector?

What Steve wrote is correct. The real "Laser MAME" is a collaborative effort between Rob Mudryk and Matt Pollack. Although they did not trademark the name, they do absolutely hate other people using the same name...

Technically it is not legal to run MAME (or Laser MAME) unless you OWN the original game ROMs. These would be the stand-up arcade games. I don't think an Atari 2600 ROM beats the requirement...

If you are doing things in private (i.e. your home), then probably the police aren't going to break down your doors and take you to jail. Lots of MAME ROM images are on a site that is hosted in Denmark, since Denmark apparently doesn't have the same copyright laws as other parts of the world.

I will bring the real, original LASER MAME with me to FLEM, but I don't remember how to use MAME (i.e. the keyboard equivalents) so I hope someone else does.

And yes, Pangolin does own an original Asteroids and Tempest game, so at least we are covered for these two .

Best regards,

William Benner