Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GSI G120D galvos. Are they any good?

Default GSI G120D galvos. Are they any good?

Hi Guys,

It's my first post and I have a question about 2 galvos I picked up yestertday. They are made by General Scanning Inc and the model number is G120D.

I have only just got into this hobby and I am not sure if they are any good (they are around 17 years old). I was looking at buying a set of 30k galvos from laser show parts as they have the driver boards etc.

So the question is would I be better off getting driver boards for the G120Ds or just getting a set of 30k galvos from laser show parts or laserpic.

Many thanks
    XG

Based on what I've been reading since I've been hanging out on the forum, I would say go ahead and get a complete scanner set for your graphics, and use the GS120's for shutter control and beam routing.

Just my $0.02 worth!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Yeah, unless you get lucky on ebay and pick up a set of fast amps for them, I'd get some 30k scanners to get you going and keep the G120's for a rainy day project. If you're good with electronics you could get something working for them.

Cool

G120's need some really good amps to reach 30Kpps performance. If you get those amps (TurboTrack, for example), you're all set. If not, then you'll have to use some stock amps, which will get you around 20-24Kpps.

Since they don't have amps, I agree with the others here. Go for a complete set of 30K galvos and be done with it.

If you really love to tinker with things, then you might want to get a pair of them to play with at some point. But if you only have enough money for one or the other, consider this: getting the 30K units will get you up and scanning now, while buying just the bare G120's nets you nothing more than a pair of paperweights until you can buy/build a set of amps for them.

Adam

Many thanks guys for the help.

I have bought a set of 30k galvos with driver boards and PSUs. I got the G120Ds out of an old laser show that was about to be thrown out. I left the Spectra Physics Stabilite 2011 as I don't have a 3 phase 32 Amp supply at home but I did grab the laser table and the mirror mounts:

Cheers
    XG

Thumbs up

Nice score! You get all that for the price of gas to pick it up?

Hey xgeek, are you still able to get hold of the Argon? I have an identical unit with PSU here but the tube is dead. Apparently its a sealed tube design and Spectra Physics wanted £200 per hour just to look at it and they said they probabley wouldn't be able to get it going.

I will check tomorrow. It was there last week when I got the laser table but I know the skip was coming this week, so it may have got trashed.

XG

dude!

What have I done?