Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: B.l.e.m. 1.1

Lightbulb

Um, it was a real pain and kick in the credit card balance to get up to SELEM. I'd love to go. Just to make steve-o here happy I'd make sure my projector could at least do beams and not open it up for anyone to look over it's problems. but to bring a projector you gotta drive, cause I ain't checkin my projector for baggage handlers to play gentle with. Orlando to Net York City is a LONG drive...

As a compromise I say we get organized a little more for SELEM II or those that can make FLEM II, and make a small scheldule, mainly to get a longer amount of show watching in. One the sun went down and we started the two projectors going last saturday we got a good 3 or 4 hours of beam shows in. My lungs still hurt from sitting too close to the fogger. Maybe we can set up a tutorial room and or fix it room and have the main stage area doing shows the whole time.

I'm not saying NYC is a bad idea, far from it, I just can't afford that kind of a drive.
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

i take my smaller projectors as carry on with no trouble

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by VJ AIWAZ View Post
    i take my smaller projectors as carry on with no trouble

At SELEM DZ and spec worked on the wiring of my small, 300mW projector. I stepped out for some reason and when i came back Iwas told a poll was taken on what my projector enclosure was made out of... They told me depleted uranium topped the list. They'd charge me a whole extra seat to bring this small, heavy beast on the plane. It is a lil ragity inside too. It may not pass TSA without being disassembled as a bomb.

what i usually take on the plane is one suitcase that fits the overhead bin that has either 2 300mw projectors and ilda cables or one projector and a tower pc and my laptop under the seat
    as far as the tsa goes i get stoped every time at the xray machine and pulled to the side
    what they do is take a swipe with this chemical bomb detector then stick the cloth into a machine that analyzes it it takes about 5min

--
    John
    VJ AIWAZ

Cool

None of the projectors we had at FLEM 1.5 would qualify as "carry on luggage". They're too large (in at least two dimentions) plus they're so heavy they can't reasonably be carried for long distances. (Aaron's projector is so heavy you'd need a baggage cart to carry it down the jetway from the gate to the plane.)

DZ's projector is the closest to being able to fit in an overhead bin, and it might just squeeze by, but for sure the rest of our units would be rejected. (Plus I'd think he'd want it to be encosed in some sort of case, and that would likely make it too large.)

Now, what about the computer you need to control it? And the monitor that goes with said computer... (We're all using desktops or mid towers, btw - no laptops.) You're talking about a lot of checked baggage - and there's no way I'm putting a flat panel monitor in the baggage hold unless it's safely packed away in a road case. More $$$...

I agree with Allthat... If you want to bring your lasers to an event, you just about have to drive. Sure, if you've got some really small monochrome green projector that will fit in a carry on bag, and you've got the QM2000.net adapter so you can run Pangolin off a laptop, then you could make it work on a plane. But most of us have full RGB rigs that are quite large (and heavy), and we're all using big PC's to run them. That just doesn't work with air travel.

Part of the advantage of being a hobbyist is that you don't need to worry about how large or heavy the thing is because you don't need to move it much. But in a case like this, the pro's have the advantage because they're ALWAYS moving their stuff so they need to design it to be compact, lightweight, and easy to set up and take down.

Adam

on the larger side of thing i bring a road case with a 3watt melles and a set of 6800's that i have checked many many times with no trouble its just in a good road case that is pressure fit with a lot of foam
    the only thing i have to do is tweak the mm1 for alignment and its ready to go

--
    John
    VJ AIWAZ

I drive no matter what. Too much risk to save the time. Even if I do a show in miami, I drive. Anyhow, I am down for BLEM. I could be the resident DJ

driving just isn't cost effective i may have a show out in California on a Friday and a club gig on Sunday in NYC
    so if i need to fly with the big rig then i just get the extra insurance
    basically you get $2500 automatically the for $100 they bump that up to $5000 then its usually cost about $50-$75 for it being over weight

i did the drive thing once we had a gig in Vegas
    to do video (vj) lasers and psychedelic lighting(oils kscops ect) it was for the 40 anniversary of the electric koolaid acid test with the merry prankster(with ken keasys son zane) new riders of the purple sage(they had that song panama red)

well any way half way through the trip in Ohio we blew the transmission
    so that wasted another day and about $1500

--
    John
    VJ AIWAZ

so its starting to look like an event in NYC isn't feasible

--
    John
    VJ AIWAZ

Oh, well, the O.P. just was suggesting more time in the seats and less *tweeking* time..
    I wonder if you could use water mist instead of cracking oil or the other stuff.
    I'm down for it in virginia because it's real dark up here in the foggy mountains and even a 20 mw argon impresses party-people here. I cant even imagine what y'alls rigs would bring in.. probably the police, fbi, national-homeland security, and the cia. Oh well <sigh> i'm up oops i mean down -all this young talk reminds me of when bad meant good -- geezz i'm feeling geezerish-- uh thats it 4 me.