Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Man's Laser Blinded Police Chopper Pilot, FBI Says

Default Man's Laser Blinded Police Chopper Pilot, FBI Says

Can people just not control themselves?!? The idiot is 51 years old!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,535161,00.html?
    The Frothy Chimp
    Cynic Extraordinaire
    Back off man, I'm a scientist

Good whiskey, fine cigars, long legged women and blues guitar.
    That's what I like.

The strong shall stand, the weak shall fall by the wayside.

its gonna be a sad day if idiots like this get lasers banned from the US...

i put a link to this site in the links section at modwerx:
    http://laserpointersafety.com/

good to see your still around tony. havent seen you in a while.

I was just talking to an ex-commercial pilot this weekend. I mentioned that I was building a laser projector, their first reaction was "You aren't going to point that at planes are you? I got hit with green lasers in L.A. a few times it lit up the window and was very distracting". Nope no pointing lasers in the sky for me.

-Adam
    Support your local Janitor- not solicited .

Laser (the acronym derived from Light Amplification by Stimulated Emissions of Radiation) is a spectacular manifestation of this process. It is a source which emits a kind of light of unrivaled purity and intensity not found in any of the previously known sources of radiation. - Lasers & Non-Linear Optics, B.B. Laud.

Thumbs down

He must have gotten fired on his day off... He needs a good
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

maybe they should just ban laser pointers once and for all.... they are just too easy for any idiot to get a hold of,, and point at the sky,
    whereas a laser projector, is alot harder to get and requires more knowledge and a heck of alot more money to acquire........thus eliminating alot of the dummies shooting lasers into the sky
    just my .02

Auckland uni here in NZ is in the process of providing reccomendations to nZ govt about laser issues like this.
    I stressed to one of the Drs' in charge of this, whom I've been borrowing a power meter off - that it's the laser pointers that are causing the issue, and people like myself trying their utmost to make things safe are not the ones causing the problems. He got my point and agreed, so hopefully it'll just be a pointer crackdown if anything....... and not variances and the rest.

edit: You could also argue that high powered pointers are no different than guns to your eyes! Why not a licensing system of sorts... The 100mw pointer I had a few years ago had such a tight beam - at closer ranges that's not good at all in the hands of your average plonk.

Good point, at least with guns though, there is a process to buy one , whereas with laserpointers, all you need is a credit card and the Internet

Quote Originally Posted by carlos3621 View Post
    Good point, at least with guns though, there is a process to buy one , whereas with laserpointers, all you need is a credit card and the Internet
    you really dont even need that. im sure there are some local stores that sell 5mw greenies and those are the ones(wavelength) that most distracting. heck you can buy 5mw reds at any dollar store in the US..

Quote Originally Posted by ndrew2505 View Post
    you really dont even need that. im sure there are some local stores that sell 5mw greenies and those are the ones(wavelength) that most distracting. heck you can buy 5mw reds at any dollar store in the US..
    I wonder what has changed, besides wavelength, in the past 10 years to make people want to do this. You could get a 5mW red at the gas station 10 years ago for $10... This only seemed to start in the last few years with the greenys.

Quote Originally Posted by allthatwhichis View Post
    I wonder what has changed, besides wavelength, in the past 10 years to make people want to do this. You could get a 5mW red at the gas station 10 years ago for $10... This only seemed to start in the last few years with the greenys.
    Well, the green wavelength is more visible to the eye and you can see where the beam is going. I think the biggest problem is the media reporting it, these idiots watch the news and want to try it for themselves. Ofcourse they miss the part about getting busted, much less the life threatening danger.

I'm to the point where I hope they just ban them. I'm tired of everyone and their brother having pointers.